Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Yeah, this is in my immediate future with Cake Monkey for dessert!

@Dommy, what vegetables do you like other than the mushrooms? I ordered the cauliflower tonight and it just wasn’t good at all and was dumped into the trash. It was overly charred tasting burnt, and was flat and flavorless except for the burnt flavor. Not what I was expecting.

I did order a sandwich rather than a plate, but next time I think I would stick with a plate because the sandwich was just too soggy. Not sure if that is a delivery thing or just the nature of the beast.

Crispy Broccoli is out of this world.
Love their Brussels Sprouts.
And I consider falafel a vegetable, and that’s great too.

3 Likes

I join the chorus of support for Mizlala.

The chicken and salmon are good.

Talking to a friend today I heard that Aburiya Raku is closing. Anyone have more info on this? Supposedly becoming a fast casual ramen spot :frowning:

Also, the bento maker who was making the raku bentos has moved production into his house and doing a home kitchen.

1 Like

Not necessarily more info, but confirmation here:

2 Likes

PSA: Dialogue is doing a 7-course tasting menu for July 4th (more like the in days leading up to July 4th), while pasjoli has specials such as steak grill kit, a shrimp and chicken étouffée (accent marks courtesy of the menu), and a vegetarian cassoulet (!).

2 Likes

Wexler’s delivery. Liked the corned beef better than the pastrami today (we’d actually ordered the egg salad but they were out)

4 Likes

The broccoli and the Brussels sprouts are my favorites too. The cauliflower can be hit or miss.

My former assistant and I always meet at the Sherman Oaks Mizlala for our catchup dinners. We both love food and always over-order so we can split the leftovers. The short rib tagine is one of our go-tos. We usually skip the kebabs and sausage now because they have been dry every time we ordered them.

2 Likes

Sherman Oaks has that incredible Fried Chicken too.

1 Like

Family Dinner #1 | Whole Wood-Smoked Mary’s Free Range Chicken Dinner
Serves 4 people, $72.

Family Dinner #2 | Meat Sampler Dinner
Serves 4 people, $110.
One (1) pound Brisket (chopped or sliced)
One (1) pound Pork Spare Ribs
Two (2) Housemade Sausage Links

Both Family Dinners Include:
Cucumber pickles/pickled red onions
Six (6) buttermilk biscuits OR cornbread with whipped honey butter
Large Market Chopped Salad
Your choice of two (2) sides:
Creamy Slaw OR Vinegar slaw
Ranch Beans, Braised Greens OR Potato Salad

1 Like

do we like Maple Block again?

2 Likes

Did it fall hugely out of favor (I haven’t been keeping track).

We did an order a few wks ago. Brisket was a bit dry (pffft!), but the food otherwise was pretty good. The biscuits and honey butter are great. I live pretty close by, though, so this is an easier trip than Bludso’s. If I had to choose btw MB and Bludso’s, I’d prob choose the latter (but haven’t been in > 1 yr).

scatted reports including the last post on the MB thread a year ago.

For me it has never been as great as it was for the first year when EVERYTHING was great (except the BBQ sauce). But I have never had bad pork ribs subsequently.
CAVEAT 1 - I don’t get anything but pork ribs there.
CAVEAT 2 - 6 months since last visit

1 Like

trick me once shame on you
trick me twice shame on me
there will be no 3rd time for me

3 Likes

Probably not a lot of cheesecake factory fans here, but online orders only: 2 double burgers, 2 fries, 2 sodas and 1 Oreo cheesecake all for $20. We did this at the Santa Monica Place Cheesecake Factory and went to the outdoor seats that overlook the ocean. It was great. The burgers were not bad at all.

This offer ends July 5th.

8 Likes

My last two experiences at maple block were quite poor (over salted and dry) will not be returning unless FTC says otherwise

2 Likes

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Restaurant/holybasildtla/posts/

New Thai pop up on Sundays only in DTLA.

Small menu.

Krapow is to Thai Food like burgers are to American food. Seriously, everyone loves Krapow. I don’t think I know a Thai person who doesn’t! Places around Thai Town and Valley will most likely use Thai basil (while that is fine and I use it to make Krapow at home), holy basil is more peppery. The flavor and aroma is incredible…basil, garlic, chiles, oyster sauce, fish sauce and a fried egg on top…magic!

They also got pad Thai, and both northern and Isaan sausages

8 Likes

Baja Subs in Northridge. Since my last visit, they’ve dropped the Mexican (yet retained the name), while expanding their Sri Lankan menu. 14 items now. Hopper night was on Fridays, Lamprais on Saturdays, Biryani every day now, not just on weekends (at least according to the hand-written chalkboard menu).

Stopped by yesterday. Please call ahead as it takes time to prepare these dishes fresh-to-order. Left: chicken kottu roti, right: kingfish curry with assorted vegetables + mango pickle, served over some nice basmati rice.

15 Likes