Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Yah, he’s traditional, but needs to adjust for travel. Noodles & Pasta stiffens and need extra sauce or broth to liven them back-up. Too bad there isn’t a way to ask for extra sauce on Postmates.

1 Like

Thanks @Haeldaur @DTLAeater! Great to know, and now we can order with confidence. :wink:

Me too. At first everything was fresh, quick, properly hot or cold, but now that the norm is takeout/delivery I think it’s a little overwhelming for some of the restaurants. There’s a local mom & pop I’d like to give a positive shoutout to but can’t because it hasn’t been positive and I’m not about to slam them while they’re down.

1 Like

Me too, although I chalked it up to me trying places that I never before frequented and their food just not resonating with me. But I have to say there is a fast food Middle Eastern place that pre-quarantine from which I had delivery at least once a week (which means I love the place) and my one quarantine delivery was awful. Ordered shrimp and got chicken (which I assume was the restaurant’s fault, not Door Dash since the rest of the order was correct) and the fried potatoes were almost raw when they are usually delicious. That was a place that has always been geared toward delivery, but perhaps now they are overslammed with orders

The other thing is some of these places, the food is precious and kind of designed for a single nice bite right when it comes out, not to be in a box and enjoyed at home. For the most part, a nice plate of noodles from a good thai place is going to be better than what the fancy places around town are offering right now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_yKDgqF9-I/

Glad they are open.
I don’t see my self jumping at home hotpot yet.
Though I did an Izakaya Hero home shabu shabu in April and it was fantastic. And not as messy as anticipated.

1 Like

Dinner burritos
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_yuzcQji3g/

9 Likes

Has anyone tried Cassell’s tuna melt?

I saw that Cassell’s is available for delivery through Caviar. Anyone had delivery of Cassell’s and did the food stand up? I know they are famous for their patty melt, but not sure about the rest of the food and one thing I know is that it is impossible for fries to stand up to delivery.

1 Like

Never had their tuna melt, but a slice of their peanut butter caramel chocolate pie should hold up nicely :slight_smile:

1 Like

the patty melt rocks and the burger is good too (although I have a lot of nostalgia for the original Cassell’s burger and location).

I doubt the tuna melt would hold up for delivery…it will probably steam in the container and either be hot and soggy or cold and yucky. At my last job, we ordered out for lunch every day and in my experience hot sandwiches don’t travel well for delivery (unless you’re picking it up yourself and rushing home from some place relatively close).

2 Likes

I ended up ordering delivery this evening from Cassia in Santa Monica. Always one of those places that I wanted to try, but never wanted to brave the traffic to Santa Monica.

It was extremely expensive and didn’t like it enough to ever do again. Got green papaya salad for $18, which is kind of their riff on Thai som tum. Wasn’t bad and held up okay to delivery. Added side clay oven bread for $6, which is their riff on Indian naan. Again, not bad, albeit a tad too salty, and also held up okay to delivery. What I really wasn’t crazy about was the $39 half chicken. Didn’t like the sauces that came with it and I actually vastly preferred the $14 jidori whole chicken that I had picked up at Eataly the other day.

For me, another one and done. I also think the appeal of having this huge array of delivery options is beginning to fade since I’m not loving most of what I have tried and the novelty of having such a broad array of delivery options is wearing off.

Lock & Key Social Drinkery Kitchen (Downey)
Doritos Chicharrones

My new favorite takeout snack. Crispy crunchy (and not greasy) chicharrones with housemade Doritos nacho cheese powder that you apply yourself when you are ready to eat. There’s also a side of hot sauce if you need some heat. This is one of our regular gastropubs.
We picked up their taco package today with a 120 oz. margarita. The margarita was delightful…house-pressed lime and lemon juice and a healthy hit of tequila…even when you add your own ice…you still know it’s there. I guess today I needed more of a tequila kick than usual. Not a bad way to spend Cinco de Drinko at home…especially if we get to support one of our local spots.

9 Likes

I don’t eat Hot Tuna Salad, but their cold Tuna Salad is excellent. But I agree with @LAgirl, I doubt it will hold up, especially since the MELT part is so important to the sandwich…

1 Like

FWIW, I have probably been to Cassia 15 times and never ordered any of those things.

I wouldn’t do cassells for delivery. Tuna melt is probably an b+ with the patty melt being an A.

Only complaint is that I don’t like the patty melts mustard sauce I would much rather have the traditional thousand island.

1 Like

Agree - these are not Cassia’s highlights.
I had wonderful Charcuterie Fried Rice, Kaya Toast and Laksa last week.
Fantastic.

I’m not a sauce on burger type of girl----so I always get mine without and it’s delicious.

1 Like

Langer’s has a great Tuna Melt and they’ve always had curbside pickup if this is an option for you.
If you want delivery, they have all the delivery app options available

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_0wKqpjhUk/

5 Likes