Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Eggplant is amazing
Quail eggs in thit kho is great
Those pastellitos are delicious and wallet draining

Very authentic but also hope you like skin/fat.

2 Likes

What @Ns1 said! I grew up drowning my rice with the thit kho sauce/broth. The thit kho and ca tim are legit. I’ve not had the pleasure of having ga roti, yet. It keeps on selling out or I’m enjoying my sleep-in Sunday.
Would love to hear your thoughts!

2 Likes

'Twas me. I’d asked as Plate 38 in Pasadena, at the corner of Colorado and Sierra Madre Blvds, put in a cemented rock wall to protect their building and patio diners, after one-too-many vehicles ended up on the patio.

I would definitely be concerned if the street is open to traffic and would think that, should there be an accident, the city, the business, maybe the landlord … all might be legally culpable. But that’s a guess.

In NYC:
"Many restaurateurs were quick to build street and sidewalk seating areas as soon as it was allowed. But some of the earliest adapters have almost immediately run afoul of the city Department of Transportation, which is overseeing the temporary outdoor cafes.

The department’s first set of guidelines permitted outdoor seating areas on streets with one or two lanes of traffic, to be set off by “stanchions, barricades or planters, spaced at maximum 5 feet apart.” Late last week, though, some new requirements appeared, including one that has caused problems for many owners: All barriers, on any kind of street, have to be at least 18 inches thick."

2 Likes

Nice! I love their fries too. I may hit Charcoal this week, thanks for the update.

melisse x citrin tribute to alice waters “chez panisse”

7 Likes

Sour soup is also excellent. I enjoyed this meal.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCUGst3Jds4/

2 Likes

I want it so bad but this ratio looks so wrong.

This other pic looks a little better - is this a Langer’s homage?

3 Likes

The bread is not very good, see if they are selling by the pound like they did at Smorgasburg.

The pastrami is excellent, I like it better than Langer’s if we are just talking pastrami.

However, sandwich wise, pretty hard to top Langer’s. Shit is ridiculously tasty and super convenient.

Last time I went to ChiSpacca, they basically force you to valet do you street ordinances which is a pain in the ass if you ask me. Not sure if that applies for lunch but it was annoying as you used to be able to park on Highland in front of the houses.

2 Likes

Dessert pasta at Republique this weekend. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Caught an episode of The Chef Show featuring Wexler’s, and felt inspired to get a bagel and lox delivered. The bagel unfortunately is a little stale compared to having it at the restaurant, most likely because it’s toasted before delivery. Still, it’s one of my favorite expressions of this classic sandwich.

The hash browns are also amazing, and remind me of latkes in the best way possible. Will have to give those the spotlight next time.

9 Likes

I actually have enjoyed Wexler the few times I’ve tried it. Rather pricey, otherwise I’d be there more often.

Are you close to Santa Monica? I think they get their bagels from NY Bagel and Deli, so you get the bagels on your own and just get the lox from Wexler’s. :wink: I haven’t tried the lox there; how do think it compares to Gjusta?

1 Like

My office is in Santa Monica, and I’ve enjoyed NY Bagel and Deli when I wasn’t working from home. I’m actually wondering if I should ask Wexler’s just to leave the bagel untoasted for delivery. I hear that’s how New Yorkers prefer things, anyway.

I love Wexler’s lox, although I’ve only had it in a bagel. The “cured flavor” is strong without being too salty, which I love. The ridges are more pronounced and add textural interest.

I have not had the bagel and lox at Gjusta, but I’ve had their lox hash for takeout years ago. They don’t seem to offer that dish anymore. I remember Gjusta’s lox being extremely smooth, oilier (not necessarily bad) and very forward with capers.

Would love to give Gjusta’s bagel and lox a try. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You can pick up 1/2 lb sealed and pre-sliced lox packs from gjusta.

1 Like

I won’t pretend to speak for all New Yorkers, but most of the ones I grew up with preferred a toasted bagel with their Nova. I think part of it is the added contrast in texture between the light crunch of the toast and the silkiness of the salmon, part the warmth of the bread against the coolness of the fish and cream cheese, and part the aroma of a warm bagel or bialy. Raw onions and/or capers as one prefers.

3 Likes

Very glad to hear that, and I generally prefer a toasted bagel for those same reasons. This is really a delivery-specific thing, solving for a toasted bagel that becomes more lukewarm/cold and somewhat hard. As with many things, it’s something you just have to enjoy as soon as it’s out of the toaster. And that leads to some really magical results.

2 Likes

I spy a bottle of The Last Dab! Good stuff!

1 Like

An underrated - or perhaps just not very well known - bagel shop!

3 Likes

You know, that’s exactly what I think of it, but I couldn’t name it until you said it. Can lox be a little too smooth? I actually don’t mind more texture, so perhaps I’ll give Wexler’s a try. I also remember the Gjusta lox being a little light on flavor the first two times I tried (this last time, we got the herb gravlax, so of course it had more flavor…).

NY Bagel & Deli also sells lox and lox trimmings, BTW. No, not at the level of Gjusta, but sometimes I’m fine w/ the cheaper stuff.

2 Likes

In my opinion, toasting a good bagel makes it worse and toasting a bad bagel makes it better. Wexler’s bagels are good bagels.

2 Likes