Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Another night of delivery decision making. Every once in a while, you discover a place you didn’t see before. This weekend we found Wurstkuche, which we love and haven’t had in years.

There are a lot of fancy sausages available, but we like to keep things simple. We got the bratwurst and hot italian.

The Belgian fries are perfection. Obviously they are best served fresh at the restaurant, but they hold up pretty well after a car ride. Double fried makes all the difference.

I love the mustards they have at Wurstkuche, but understandably they can only provide so many plastic containers. Luckily we had some German mustard at home, my favorite.

So tasty, so nostalgic. Also, I can’t believe I haven’t done this before but I snuck some fries into my sandwich and would absolutely do it again.

19 Likes

Their frites are still some of the best in the city. I usually OD on a groot order by myself and end up regretting it the rest of the night.

3 Likes

You are groot. :smiley:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Does anyone know for sure if Chef Aitor is still there? Saw him ask if anyone has a kitchen he could use on Instagram the other day. Sounds odd for someone in charge of an enormous hotel kitchen

I am glad they are trying but it sure sounds like a lot for a little.

1 Like

$50 for 2 oz. of iberico de bellota Jabugo?! That gives me pause.

@Chowseeker1999, @Dommy

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDAykCMnL68/

https://www.milaforall.com/

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDCj15KjI2W/

7 Likes

Just ordered one - i’m a sucker for banh mi.

1 Like

Thanks! I was not the biggest fan of BS Taqueria the few times I went. I do believe in balance in a taco and above all the importance of a good tortilla… Those look a little over stuffed…but it can just be for show for now. Will try for sure… as well as in addition to Broken Spanish Tamales at Surfas, they now have Burritos too!

–Dommy!

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDjp4psHI5r/?hl=en

3 Likes

$95 for 20

https://direct.chownow.com/order/6340/locations/8374

The Ranch (Anaheim) - Tuesday, August 11th

2 Likes

Really demonstrates the disparity in restaurants that have access to wealthy clientele vs all others.

This is a reminder to support the small local non chain mom and pop restaurants and maybe not even restaurants that get a lot of hype on FTC because they need it more than ever!

9 Likes

This week’s offering from Citrin/Melisse (Thursday - Sunday):

MENU - $75

Brioche Roll, Lobster Coral Butter

Amuse-Bouche
Lobster Jelly, Panna Cotta au Maïs and Caviar

Lobster Salad, Napa Cabbage, Radicchio, Nectarine, Crispy Wonton

Lobster Risotto, Sweet Corn and Sauce Homardine

Calabrian Chili Roasted Lobster, Summer Vegetables, Chanterelles, Tomato-Lobster Broth

Summer Plum Tart, Whipped Blond Chocolate and Mascarpone

I wonder if putting Antico’s Summer Harvest Plum Ice Cream on top of the tart would be overkill.

A few other places seem to be offering lobster specials this week. Must be something in the water…

9 Likes

Loved my family meal takeaway from Bavel last week - the Harissa prawns and fluffy brioche-like pita were my faves. The upcoming Bavel menu is pretty similar except dessert — chocolate cake is switched out for chiffon cake this week.

Very satisfying meal!

( Edit) Below are the Bavel menu items in my photo collage:

Bavel menu 8/11-8/15

Hummus & Borlotti Bean - morita chili, cumin, lemon, parsley, olive oil, pita

Heirloom Lettuce Salad - green tahini vinaigrette, cilantro, black sesame

Smashed Cucumber & Yogurt - mushroom za’atar, fresh savory

Grilled Prawns - harissa marinade, dill serrano creme fraiche, mint, lime

Confit Turmeric Chicken Leg - saffron flatbread, orange blossom toum, arugula, shaved fennel

Super Delicious Homestyle Chocolate Cake - chocolate buttermilk frosting

@Chowseeker1999 - I think this is the 2nd time Chicken :rooster: confit was offered. It’s on the takeaway menu again 8/18-8/22. I thought it was very good, but the Harissa prawns stood out for me a bit more.

9 Likes

Hi @foodshutterbug,

Thanks for the report and nice pics. :slight_smile: Also, !!! is that the Turmeric Chicken I see in the bottom pic?! :open_mouth:

That was one of Bavel’s great opening dishes but they rotated it off the menu never to return for the past year+. How was it?

1 Like

Bavel Set Menu Pick Up: August 18th - August 22nd

Set menu orders close at 2 pm same day. Menu is inclusive of all items listed below and is designed to be lightly reheated and shared at home:

Hummus Masabacha - creamy & chunky garbanzo bean purée, lemon, garlic, green zhoug, pita
Fattoush - butter lettuce, cherry tomatoes, radish, green garlic, soft herbs, fried pita
Fried Cauliflower - dill creme fraiche, serrano, sea salt
Grilled Prawns - harissa marinade, cured zucchini & cucumber tzatziki, fresh herbs, lime
Confit Turmeric Chicken Leg - saffron flatbread, orange blossom toum, arugula, shaved fennel
Buttermilk Chiffon Cake - strawberry mascarpone whipped cream, mixed berries macerated in syrup

5 Likes

No pics, but our takeout from Taste of Tehran the other day (chicken koobideh, yogurt with shallots, roasted eggplant dip, and addas polo rice with lentils, raisins, and fried onions) was great. For whatever reason we hadn’t been getting Persian as much in covid times; we’ll be adjusting that now :slight_smile:

5 Likes