Retail Caviar in LA

Where can I find good caviar for the holidays? Not looking to spend full retail at Petrossian or something like that. In the past I’d go to Bel Air Caviar in Westwood, but not sure of the situation there nowadays. Anyone know, by chance? Or any other suggestions? I’m partial to places that let you haggle :smile:

1 Like

Joint Seafood Sherman Oaks.

Costco

2 Likes

Lots of caviar these days.
Try Absolute Caviar - they have one store in Studio City and one in Beverly Hills, several types usually, and you can taste them before you buy.

1 Like

Jeff Bovon from j&j distributors is still selling to the public 30 per oz 120 for 4 for Kaluga caviar is a pretty good deal

1 Like

@Clayfu is our resident caviar expert. He clued me onto Astrea last year and it was excellent.

3 Likes

Astrea seems to be what foodies seem to love right now. I know Justin at Anajak is a big fan.

If it’s popular at yacht clubs, it has to be good!

3 Likes

Epicurus, https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/92700be0-5fa5-4e1a-9249-a64e798bb4c8/downloads/11.19.2021.pdf?ver=1637381687834
Scroll down

1 Like

Astrea isn’t cheap but I received this code if you want to try them out

h

2 Likes

Sorry saw this when I was out of the country - I don’t like to shamelessly promote our company unless prompted, but if anyone in LA wants to try astrea I’d be happy to provide a special FTC discount as long as you’re cool with a local pickup in Pasadena- feel free to email me at cfu@astreacaviar.com

17 Likes

We just get it from Russian / armenian delis. With red you have to taste for freshness which is allowed… black caviar are only a childhood memory for us now… so crazy how we would buy it by the kilo in Baku

1 Like

Had no idea you were LA based, but a massive thanks to your team for giving me the discount @js76wisco posted after I had already placed my order. You’ve got yourself a customer for life.

1 Like

glad we could be of help! Feel free to email me if you ever order again - the FTC friends and fam discount is a bit nicer :wink:

4 Likes

Good to know! How does the Tsar Nicoulai stuff compare to yours?

I don’t like to compare competitors as it makes me look snarky. But there’s a reason many restaurants and pop ups are now using us after having used prior brands (including those mentioned).

All I can say is try it for yourself! :slight_smile:

Our stuff is aged longer with less salt than most other brands so you get more umami flavor opposed to briny/ocean flavors.

9 Likes

can confirm

2 Likes

You are far too kind but thanks for the breakdown. Will reach out in the future.

1 Like

Same! I quite enjoyed Astrea when I had dinner at Anajak.

1 Like

ya’ll are far too kind. Appreciate the kind words. Late 2020 and all of 2021 has been transformative for us to say the least. We’re still a small operation with less than a handful of people stateside so the reception we’ve had at the consumer level and restaurant level is little short of amazing.

Heading to Otium in a hour or so to give a caviar course!

8 Likes