Retirement Dinner - Finicky Parents

Cassia would probably be memorable. One concern are the prices. Most Asian parents - particularly immigrants - would probably freak out at the prices here.

1 Like

I can’t even bring my parents to Sea Harbour for dinner.

2 Likes

@Ns1 I have to undercut the price by half anytime my parents ask how much I spent on anything I buy them. In their minds, everything is too expensive.

6 Likes

Now what you’re asking…but would he be happier NOT going out? It sounds like this is a subject of ongoing angst. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it’s what THEY want not what I want to do for them that matter. Just a thought.

No, it’s not what I was asking for. When you live a life where you work 60-80 hour weeks and still have to manage the responsibilities of kids, family and a household…maybe I don’t have time to host something at home. So in order to facilitate that, we need a dinner out…but I’m not entirely sure why I have to justify any of that to you. There is no angst unless you can understand what it’s like to have Asian immigrant parents. Just a thought.

7 Likes

here comes the fun/judgment police…:rotating_light::stop_sign::policeman::policewoman:

6 Likes

Our parents weren’t Asian, but they were somewhat the same. Also, they would always try to take the bill. My brothers and I figured out a system. Plan the menu ahead of time, figure out what delightful dishes would make our parents happy (despite the “ridiculous cost”), then, at table, have one person say, “We don’t need menus,” and order for everyone.

In the olden days, we had to have one or more of us show up early to figure out the menu and hand over a credit card. Once the Internet was invented, it was all much easier.

8 Likes

@Bookwich You guys are gangsta! Smart idea.

I totally apologize. I was no way suggesting that you cook a meal. As a retiree myself, I would love all the things that were suggested. Just was wondering if maybe he’d like to go bowling or something :slight_smile: Just another thought.

I’ve Asian friends who, when they want to take the older generations for meals and know there will be fretting about the cost, claim to have “won” the meal in a raffle - even going so far as to buy gift certificates to pay with. Seems to cut down on the stress level and the elders don’t worry because the meal is “free.” Good food, good company, less worries.

8 Likes

How about Roy’s in Newport Beach? Nice enough for a celebration, and has that Asian flair which your mom would probably like.

I’ve got the Asian parents like yours too (too expensive! I can make this better at home! Let’s go for Chinese food!) but they will go to Roy’s and not complain (but we usually pay the bill before the server brings it to the table!)

3 Likes

When I told my mom (who is from Singapore; we visit fairly often) that Cassia serves a $24 bowl of laksa, I got a 15 minute lecture on how many bowls of laksa I could buy back in Singapore for that amount, and how many bowls of laksa she could make at home with that same amount of money.

8 Likes

Ditto. My mom uber-freaked when she insisted on seeing the final tab for a dinner there.

My wife is from Malaysia and lived in Singapore. She came home and lectured me about not only how rediculous she felt paying for that laksa and how many she could get in Sing $$, but converted over to ringgit! Sheesh - living in SE Asia gets awfully complicated - “you do the math - gladly.” But she did like the laksa albeit a tad too spicy for her now wimpy tolerance for heat.

3 Likes

@ElsieDee That is also gangsta! I like that idea even more.

1 Like

Apparently some of the elders chortle because of their children’s “luck” - and they truly enjoy the food and order what they want (after ascertaining how much the prize is worth, of course).

2 Likes

@boogiebaby This! This is my Mom exactly. God forbid the one time I told her about the Mendocino Farms pork belly banh mi. I can still recall that rant word for word.

5 Likes

“$12??? I can buy 4 sandwiches and get 2 free for $12!”

7 Likes

Not in Acton. Too soon? :wink:

6 Likes

well to be fair $12 could only buy me 3 VN sandwiches in Chatsworth too.

3 Likes