Return to Sender - New York's NoMad Arrives in L.A. - Mezzanine [Thoughts + Pics]

the space certainly looks beautiful. And I bet these ice cubes cost a fortune.

Also noted in his review…

Roast Chicken for Two [$98.00] | Black Truffle & Brioche Stuffing with Baby Turnips & Sesame
We began with the white meat, which had a stuffing of brioche, foie gras, and truffle underneath the crispy skin.

Maybe his chicken breast wasn’t overcooked, or after nine cocktails and some wine he didn’t notice?

Pulled punches such as “perhaps a touch drier than I’d prefer” and the lack of comment on the steep prices for a meal in which “the food was, for the most part, quite good” make me wonder if he was comped.

2 Likes

A lot of bars have ice cubes with branding on them nowadays, including the lobby bar at the Freehand Hotel a few blocks away. From what I recall, the cocktails at Freehand aren’t noticeably more expensive than elsewhere downtown.

So many pulled punches…
Not a trace of criticism.

Of course they didn’t. It’s a renewable resource that doesn’t disturb the aviary ecosystem, silly!

Yes, this. If someone can make it delicious, charge whatever the market will tolerate. But $100 for small and dry… Well…

1 Like

99 Ranch Markets carry Jidori chickens that hover around 2.5 pounds. Jon’s Marketplace carries a brand called Golden H which comes in at a uniform 3.5 pounds; perfect for roasting.

2 Likes

Me too.

Jidori chickens are supposed to be slaughtered the day they arrive in the store so they still have rigor mortis, which gives the meat a very firm texture that may seem strange if you’re not used to it.

@robert Can you provide source on “slaughtered the day they arrive”?
I just checked http://jidorichicken.com/ and did not find anything that explicitly states this.

Closest was “We start early in the morning, and guarantee that your whole birds are delivered immediately, making it the freshest chicken there is. The benefits of this freshness can be tasted: creamy yet firm with a natural chicken flavor.”

Leaves some wiggle room…

1 Like

has kevineats ever disliked anything?

2 Likes

Further down the page:

We start early in the morning, and guarantee that your whole birds are delivered immediately, making it the freshest chicken there is. The benefits of this freshness can be tasted: creamy yet firm …

“We start early in the morning…”

Does this not leave room for interpretation?
Do they say “start” to avoid saying they “slaughter” the chickens early in the morning?

No offense to kevineats, but you don’t read his blog for criticism—great for pictures and layout of menu. He’s got a nice niche blog and has its usefulness. Don’t think he does media dinners though.

4 Likes

Read his review of Clifton’s. But I know what you’re saying. Generally, he seems to like everything.

Historically, he has always disclosed meals where they were comped.

13 posts were split to a new topic: What is Jidori Chicken

9 posts were split to a new topic: Truffles, chickens and foie

I’m sure not the least expensive place but I get my jidori chicken at A Cut Above. They also have a brined version, which I love to get for a super easy roast! No need to even season!

Daniel Boloud’s cookbook has a recipe for Poulet en bessie which is truffle stuffed chiccken cooked inside a pigs baldder.
similar to this video:

Maybe you can roast it and skip the pig bladder portion.

Our chicken was perfect!
Moist, tasty, with crispy skin and great flavor.
Overall the restaurant was good, even if other dishes were not memorable.
Service was A- range.
Zalto glassware elevated the wine experience.
Not looking forward to go back anytime soon, but do not regret one bit going and trying the chicken.