Return to Sender - New York's NoMad Arrives in L.A. - Mezzanine [Thoughts + Pics]

That’s how they got around the ban on selling foie gras when it was in effect, but that’s currently on hold pending further court decisions.

Very disappointing report! I was there during the week for drinks with a group of friends and we received good/attentive service in the lobby bar while standing at a hightop, but we only ordered wine and whisky this time. I think EMP should only be referenced in the sense that it shows what Humm is capable of providing at his best. But even NoMad NYC is absolutely nothing like EMP (I went to both on back to back nights in late 2016) and is itself quite trendy. But regarding the food, there are simply too many good choices in LA to tolerate big misses in the above $100pp category!

A note on the cocktails: Though I haven’t tried the LA ones yet, the ones in the NY bar location can also be quite boozy, though the menu is large and there is a variety. Wonder if this was as intended or just poor execution.

Seems like a bad decision to put that chicken on the menu if they’re going to leave out the foie gras, which from Pete Wells’s description sounds like it’s essential to the dish:

https://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/one-dish-at-the-nomad/

NY menu:

CHICKEN WHOLE-ROASTED FOR TWO: FOIE GRAS, BLACK TRUFFLE & BRIOCHE WITH POMME PURÉE & BABY LEEKS 94

LA menu:

ROAST CHICKEN FOR TWO BLACK TRUFFLE & BRIOCHE STUFFING with BABY TURNIPS & SESAME 98

1 Like

He does bring up a good point about the valet charge.

I completely trust and believe your review but it’s almost hard to believe that a Daniel Humm restaurant can be this bad. Very unfortunate because the space looks beautiful and I was looking forward to dining here soon.

Have you been to the current version of EMP?

No, why? Is it awful now?

Yes

Hi @Ns1,

Hey! I’d like to think most of the reviews I’ve posted were generally positive and just reflective on the dining experience? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 I think you are one of the most fair folks on this board. You are more than willing to try places two, three, or even four times to make sure you give it a fair shot. In that one experience at NoMad was more than enough speaks volumes. Thanks for taking one for the team!

9 Likes

Thanks @attran99, I try to look at the bright side of things, and usually try to go back to a restaurant more than once if our budget and time allows us to. Thanks for all your finds and posts as well. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Screw that, for $100/chicken you get one shot!

3 Likes

Couldn’t disagree more.

I think the new redesigned EMP, both in terms of space and menu, is better than before.

Glad to read this. It’s been on my wish list for a long, long time. And I value your opinion.

I do agree that the new space is better, but majority of the new menu is just too gimmicky. To each their own. I also didn’t enjoy DaDong NY, which you did, just different palates.

I’ve noticed this. A lot of celebrated New Yorkers come thinking it will be easy to conquer the L.A. food scene. But I don’t think they do enough L.A. dining research and arrogantly (possibly?) assume what works in NYC will translate well here.

Don’t get mad at me New Yorkers. I was actually born there. Just sayin’.

1 Like

There was more than hint of black truffle in our overcooked chicken. Big Whoop - still a gross ripoff.

Even worse:
My SO likes making bone broth so I asked them for the bones of our 100 dollar chicken to take home. Nope.
The chef came out, apologized, and said it was a policy not to release the bones because it “could be a liability if someone chokes.” WTF? Isn’t that true of every box of leftovers carried out of every restaurant in the fucking country.? Is NoMad the only restaurant careful enough to avoid this potential business-closing (and life-ending) hazard?
In fairness, he gave me a quart of their chicken stock, which is absolutely divine (not surprising since they must serve dozens of 60% of a “whole” chicken and keep all those bones).

14 Likes

All very, very shitty . . . except for that move with the stock. That’s pretty rad.

1 Like

I just don’t think the EMP crew really represents the best NYC has to offer (along with most of the big Manhattan restaurants) places like Olmstead, Aska, Mission Chinese, etc are much better IMO, and would probably go very well in LA. Maybe not though, the LA diner seems much different from the NY one, in general.

Both NY and LA have every kind of dining experience, from Michelin- / Pellegrino-style dictatorial tasting menus to traditional food from all over the world. There are a lot of foodies in NYC who are into Flushing and Astoria the way their LA counterparts are into Koreatown and the SGV.

1 Like