Rice Wraps - where to buy?

Is there a difference from these?

https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2015/09/cha-gio-imperial-roll-frying-tips.html

I ate a gazillion in Vietnam and then made them at home. Super easy.

IIRC those wrappers are dipped in hiot water to make them pliable. these are quite different.

Does that make a difference?

Yes they are completely different products

1 Like

But when cooked, is there a difference in the final dish? I make cha gio. Does that mean I couldn’t make it with those?

No. They are completely different products.

1 Like

Could you PLEASE elaborate? Sigh.

Yes. When a recipe calls for a specific ingredient and a completely different ingredient is used, the final result will be different than what the original recipe intends.

What is the difference? “Completely different”? Really?

And here’s some more:

https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/06/vietnamese-rice-paper-buying-tips.html

Yes, completely different. Like, the only similarities are that they are rice flour-based. Like the difference between the top half of a freshly cooked ravioli and dried sheets of lasagna pasta.

Bánh mông is clearly not the same as Bánh tráng. Why so obtuse? You can Google as well as anyone else.

So which ones can be used for one dish and which for another? Exclusively?

BTW, I ask because I actually cook.

actually banh mong brings up a series of rather unhelpful results on google. perhaps it would be more helpful (or maybe not) to suggest that banh mong would be used to make banh cuon/cantonese-dimsum chang fun type dishes vs. something like cha gio;

Funny, googling the topic brings up an exact match on the first site.

Edit: they’re called Dduk Bossam in Korean.

The reference to chang fun helps enormously. Thanks.

you’re welcome. i actually made some recently. i didn’t have shrimp, so i substituted scallops.

funny, but it DIDN’T for me.

Thread revival…

I can confirm that Choice Meats on Western does carry them, but call first because they run out on busy days like Memorial. :smirk: I can also confirm that the brand H Mart sells is not great. Btw Choice Meats also sells KBBQ kits with the meats and all the fixins. Super easy.