Roaches in LA restaurants

I saw a roach for the first time in 30 years two days ago. Doing a job for my realtor.
She came to the job site .
I told her this outlet needs to be replaced.
Bending down to look at it .
I shouted out cockroach to her . She screamed and jumped back . Lol
She’s great . I just ordered a book for her home library. Janice Robinson wine the oxford edition. Her husband will enjoy this reading .

3 Likes

Connie and Ted’s large outdoor tent (now dismantled) had a huge problem with these a few months ago. There were upwards of half a dozen scampering around among and between tables over the course of our meal and they were not shy. A number of parties got up and left. I do not hold it against the restaurant since this occurred in an open-walled tent set up in a parking lot, but it was unnerving.

1 Like

30 years without a roach! I wish I could say the same.

We have that book on our coffee table, as well as a couple of insanely detailed books of hers called “The World Atlas of Wine” and “Wine Grapes: A Complete Guide.”

1 Like

I give restaurants a pass for outdoor roaches. I’m not sure how you can stop a roach from entering an outdoor patio, especially if it isn’t enclosed. We did see a roach on the rim of one of the planters next to Pizzeria Bianco. It’s debatable whether the location of that roach falls within the official bounds of Pizzeria Bianco territory or whether it belongs to The Row. I think the lesson is: Just be careful and keep your eyes out.

1 Like

No roach, but we saw a pigeon in Cafe Gratitude today. Peony says they call pigeons “rats with wings” in Europe.

1 Like

I’d be more worried about what those puddle stains might be on the fabric bench.

2 Likes

Sadly, Cafe Gratitude leaves a lot to be desired. We ordered quinoa pasta in a vain hope that it might stand a chance of coming out slightly al dente, but alas it was mushy and falling apart.

I was in San Diego recently, eating lunch outdoors, when the couple at the next table stupidly gave a french fry to one of the pigeons hanging around. In seconds, there was a flock of pigeons (and a few seagulls) literally mobbing the people, grabbing all the food they could, and not being driven off by waving arms. They had to grab what was left rush indoors. It was terrifyingly Hitchcockian.

2 Likes