Roasting Chestnuts

I’ve been following a bunch of recipes online. The steps are essentially
Make n X or cut down the middle
Soak/Boil
Roast
Wrap in towel
Peel

My problem is that the chestnuts never seem to peel very easily. Whenever I buy chestnuts at Mitsuwa or Hisaya in Torrance the chestnuts separate cleanly (much more cleanly than mine at least). Both of these places are using different types of chestnuts.

Anybody have any advice or secrets on how to get the chestnuts out of the shell cleanly?

Yep. There are 2 types of chestnuts. The smaller ones that are found in Japan and in Italy do seem to peel easier. For any kind of chestnuts the trick is to not let them cool of, like not at all. Skin just adheres once it begins to cool off. Heat resistant gloves!

The chestnuts are from hmart, not the small ones that I love but don’t know where to buy raw. Tried to peel while still warm. Success rate was like 25%.

The small chestnuts are back at hmart. These little guys all come out of the shell perfectly. Cut a small slit at the center and roast for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees.

3 Likes

I saw bags of peeled Chestnuts as well in the refrigerated section at H-mart

1 Like

I like to roast a small amount and eat them while they are still warm. But will keep an eye out for these when I need chestnuts for a recipe like stuffing for Thanksgiving.

1 Like

These are really good.

You can make this with them.

2 Likes

I tried J Gold’s Chesnut Stuffing one year and it was a complete fiasco. My parents grow macadamia nuts and almonds… I know how to handle nuts. :wink: Now, we just buy them at Hisaya Kyoto.

–Dommy!