Roberta's pop-up

Felt like a better version of what Olio does at Grand Central Market.

2 Likes

Olio or Stella Barra would be good approximations.

I’d imagine Lodge Bread would be right there, but have not been.

And Gjelina for the atmosphere.

1 Like

Got the Beesting, loved it. They have a small beer/wine set up and someone is doing some nice cocktails. I had a ward Cider with tequilla.

Displaying IMG_1947.JPG

Displaying IMG_1948.JPG

Displaying IMG_1949.JPG

Displaying IMG_1951.JPG

7 Likes

not sure why I’m seeing two of each picture but I’m not messing with it anymore!

btw: It’s a personal pizza in the same way totino’s is :wink: One really is snack size I think Kevin and PorkBelly would need at least 4!

1 Like

Found out today you can order a “large” for $6 more. Did not do it, so not sure how much bigger it is, but that is an option.

1 Like

I did not notice that! they must not be pushing it everyone I saw had the standard size. They were pretty busy btw I thought the whole set up out doors was pretty nice, once again I really liked the pizza just thought I’d warn people one really isn’t enough for a meal (but maybe the large is)

1 Like

The set up is a great use of a formerly useless spot. Fun atmosphere.

2 Likes

I haven’t been to Roberta’s but the crust makes it look like they’re using a much hotter oven than Stella Barra.

Made it to Roberta’s and was very pleased with my pizza!

There was no option for a large, so I got the Bee Sting and the Speckenwolf. This was serendipitous, as I would have ordered just the large Bee Sting otherwise but ended up preferring the Speckenwolf.

Here’s the Bee Sting:

The Speckenwolf, which is a white pie with speck, mushroom, and red onion:

And an undercarriage shot:

I generally prefer my crust a little crisper but this was far from soggy and very flavorful. As you can see they got some real char on the pizza from the hot oven. The toppings also provided nice texture and flavor.

As others have noted, the pizza’s not a game changer. But I could definitely see myself coming back if they opened on the Westside and offered larger pies. As it was, I ended up grubbing one and a half pies.

5 Likes

The pizza is legit, tasted just like the original in bushwick. Closest comparison is to sotto but more crispy and less chewy which i like. It didn’t require the jaws of life to chew through the crust like some places, ahem lodge.

Warning to @linus and the hamster averse there were more beards and skinny jeans there than at a flannel convention in Portland after an arcade fire concert.

And yes, the pizzas are as small as they look. About 9 inches in diameter for 12 bucks. You’ll need at least two.

Oh, and they don’t accept cash, card only.

bee sting - tomato, chili flake/oil, basil, mozzarella, spicy sopressata, honey
This was my favorite, loved the spicy and sweet combo, and the sauce had great flavor.

speckenwolf - oregano, mozzarella, mushroom, speck, red onion

9 Likes

Shame. They’re dead to me.

1 Like

i think you got the wrong man. i seem to be the only bloke
around here not bothered by “these people.”

on the other hand, i’m all for a little fun-poking.

2 Likes

Was there last night as well. I think it’s very good–would love them to thrive and open a place in Culver. Also, it is getting harder and harder to hate on hipsters. At least they go out to good places and keep them in business–a lot more than can be said for many empty places in Culver (see all the closures).

3 Likes

10 Likes

I would think they’re more of a venice/silver lake/arts district/echo park/highland park type of place.

DTCC seems to be an enabler of mediocrity. Aside from a few places there, most seem to start out or eventually become eh.

That corner spot on Culver and Duquesne is a true testament that folks in LA won’t bother to go if you have to walk more than a block or if the place ain’t destination-worthy.

I NOMinate @President_Mochi to the newly minted office of Secretary of The Eats for DTCC. Someone with good taste and authority needs to vet the places trying to move into this neighborhood before it devolves into another Westwood Village.

3 Likes

Loved the pies we got there. Probably 8/10. Was missing salt but hey. Liked it more than Sotto where I was on Saturday.

Saw some new spot being built out with a huge stack of wood for a wood burning oven next to helm’s bakery… maybe pizza?

Seriously. Restaurant owners and landlords really read the demographics of that area wrong, it’s a family neighborhood. Which is why Ugo’s and Trader Joe’s thrive, while Picnic and Sambar were a bust. I still can’t explain Akasha.

I have high hopes for the National/Washington area, so many hipsters concentrated in the Hayden Tract area. You need that for decent, affordable food, say what you will.

1 Like

Oh, how funny. That’s how I’ve felt about that area the few times I’ve been. It’s kind of like, “How can there be so many restaurants surrounding me, and yet I feel like visiting not a single one?”

Having second thoughts about Roberta’s, after hearing it’s more neopolitan style. For those who have been, is it like Slicetruck and 800 Deg had a pristine baby?

1 Like

Def better than either of those I can see the comparison but… Personally I think it’s worth going once and see how you enjoy it, The atmosphere is fun at the pop up and the cocktail I had was warm and good. Go with someone and get 3 maybe do a bang bang at the cannibal

1 Like