Rossoblu DTLA

Warrior: I’ve found their fritto misto decent but underwhelming on multiple occasions. I agree it’s not crispy enough. The pizza at Superfine has always been inconsistent. While it can be great, I stay away from it these days to avoid disappointment.

The pizza at Superfine pre-COVID was consistently excellent but had gone downhill ever since.

1 Like

Warrior: maybe. If so, it is a shame, because I feel like Superfine had really great pizza. I hope people can open up to Gra and accept the weird and questionable toppings there, because the sourdough crust is good (though lacking the crispiness of Superfine at its super finest), and I am not aware of any better option in the area. Maybe Sixth and Mill, but it wasn’t that special to me in past visits. Perhaps Pizzeria Mozza is king and nothing else really matters, but I do also enjoy a softer, more Neapolitan style crust.

Going to check out gra tomorrow any recs?

Warrior: the mushroom pizza and the burrata and anchovy pizza have been go to’s for us. The new clam pizza looks interesting. We were not too fond of the kimchi, grape and gorgonzola, and summer blossom pizzas. I like all of their salads, but Peony is less enamored with them. The vegan chocolate mousse is surprisingly good, and three of us all loved it.

1 Like

the grape pizza is good.

1 Like

Warrior: Rossoblu is one of the most solid and dependable restaurants in DTLA. Nothing ever wows me, but everything is satisfying. I was happy that their menu included several new items, including a smoky salmon crudo with ikura, which was my favorite dish tonight, and a pan-fried striped bass in light sauce. I thought the corn risotto was under-seasoned but still pretty good. I though the roasted cauliflower was a little under-seasoned too.

Peony: We had another enjoyable meal at Rossoblu. I feel there has been a change of the flavor profile after they reopened post-Covid. None of the dishes we ordered today were very heavily seasoned. I particularly liked the simply flavored salmon crudo, the well-balanced mixed greens with anchovy dressing, and the lightly flavored corn risotto. I feel like all of these dishes are part of their new style, which I like.

Peony: Rossoblu is our go-to restaurant whenever we want to grab something nice but don’t have time to plan. Always reliable and consistent. Today’s meal was another great one too.

Warrior: We have lots of good memories at Rossoblu. We were on TV there when the fire broke out! The chicken cooked under a brick is a standout dish. Great flavor and texture; pairs perfectly with the Tuscan kale and date jus. The pumpkin risotto was fine but too sweet for me. The fritto misto was solid as always. The bread with dips was fine but underwhelming. The roasted cauliflower was very good.

3 Likes

Also there last night. Agree that reliable is a good descriptor, but would love to see a bit more creativity/new menu items in a town full of Italian/Cal-Ital. They appeared to be staggering the outdoor seatings to keep some distance between diners, which was appreciated.

Focaccia with anchovy butter, onion friggione, fava puree and sauteed escarole
Eggplant with tomato sugo, basil, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano

Char-grilled oyster with brown butter

Maltagliati, pioppini mushrooms, saba, dandelion greens, Parmigiano Reggiano

Whole grilled orata, Weiser Farm potato salad, Castelvetrano olive pesto

9 Likes

2 Likes

“They have very nice plates.” - LOL!

Dinner at Rossoblu a few weeks ago was very disappointing, especially the porkchop (served undercooked and cold, lacking flavor, far cry from Sotto fennel crusted porkchop).

3 Likes

We’ve eaten at Rossoblu probably 20 times now. It is what it is. The menu changes infrequently. There are some dishes I like quite a lot — valbruna eggplant, brick chicken, and (relatively new) tuna tartare with crackers. The risotto is usually good.

But the food is never impressive. I like it more than Peony, because I love basic Italian food. I’m happy eating spaghetti aglio e olio with no frills. Peony is not impressed by that kind of thing. After every meal at Rossoblu I tell Peony we are just spoiled because the quality level is generally good. My biggest complaint is the menu rarely changes; I’m happy with the food itself.

1 Like

20 times is a lot for a place you are lukewarm on.

5 Likes

We live a mile away.

1 Like

I hear you, though I used to live in South Park for over ten years and doubt I went to any single sit down restaurant over 20 times. I guess for something like aglio e olio I’d rather cook at home in 15 minutes than deal with a place I found mediocre.

1 Like

I think Rossoblu is good, not mediocre.

They use farmers-market produce, butcher their own meats, make their own salumi and pasta, and have a big wood grill. If you don’t like a place like that because the menu doesn’t change except seasonally, maybe you just don’t much care for traditional Italian food.

There’s nothing wrong with creativity and invention (within reason), but there’s a lot to be said for a restaurant where you know you can get a table and that the dish you have a craving for will be on the menu and as good as always.

2 Likes

Their new dish of green beans with a roasted pepper sauce is very good.

Their beet risotto is better than I remembered – tastes “right.”

Their grilled trout with cannelini bean puree has become a go-to delivery favorite for us.

Unsung Rossoblu is my favorite Italian in DTLA. Great delivery tonight! Best dishes: chicken under a brick, ribeye, grilled fish, Valbruna’s eggplant, heirloom beans, the new broccolini dish.

2 Likes