Rossoblu DTLA

You’re missing the point of my post. Read the linked topic.

Risotto is always fantastic at RB. Great post!

Had a fantastic dinner here last night. Is this place underrated??

Sergio was in the house.

9 Likes

Glad you had a great meal! I’ve had both a fantastic dinner there and a good but not great dinner there. Really enjoy the venue though; however if I’m headed to downtown there are definitely other restaurants that would be higher on my list.

Yeah I probably still like Bestia more but so much easier to get reservations at Rossoblu.

Dama was popping last night. Packed house.

2 Likes

I’ve been to Rossoblu 3x and all pretty closer together but every time I left with an entirely underwhelming feeling. I would love for it to be great though and it’s been a while since I’ve been back so I’ll definitely give it a nudge again should it present itself.

1 Like

My sole visit to Rossoblu last weekend was underwhelming as well. I had less than crispy fritto misto, watery tomato sauce (think water dripping down pizza as I was eating)/super flappy crust, slightly dry pork tomahawk (though their house sausage was excellent in every aspect), and slightly soggy crostata.

2 Likes

I had a friend go recently as well and came back with a similar report. They were hitting on all cylinders fwiw.

Weird. Our pizza was crispy and so delicious.

Not that it should matter, but was Sergio in the house?

Didn’t check since we sat in the patio. It was on a Sunday so it could’ve been the B team at work…

Warrior: I’ve found their fritto misto decent but underwhelming on multiple occasions. I agree it’s not crispy enough. The pizza at Superfine has always been inconsistent. While it can be great, I stay away from it these days to avoid disappointment.

The pizza at Superfine pre-COVID was consistently excellent but had gone downhill ever since.

1 Like

Warrior: maybe. If so, it is a shame, because I feel like Superfine had really great pizza. I hope people can open up to Gra and accept the weird and questionable toppings there, because the sourdough crust is good (though lacking the crispiness of Superfine at its super finest), and I am not aware of any better option in the area. Maybe Sixth and Mill, but it wasn’t that special to me in past visits. Perhaps Pizzeria Mozza is king and nothing else really matters, but I do also enjoy a softer, more Neapolitan style crust.

Going to check out gra tomorrow any recs?

Warrior: the mushroom pizza and the burrata and anchovy pizza have been go to’s for us. The new clam pizza looks interesting. We were not too fond of the kimchi, grape and gorgonzola, and summer blossom pizzas. I like all of their salads, but Peony is less enamored with them. The vegan chocolate mousse is surprisingly good, and three of us all loved it.

1 Like

the grape pizza is good.

1 Like

Warrior: Rossoblu is one of the most solid and dependable restaurants in DTLA. Nothing ever wows me, but everything is satisfying. I was happy that their menu included several new items, including a smoky salmon crudo with ikura, which was my favorite dish tonight, and a pan-fried striped bass in light sauce. I thought the corn risotto was under-seasoned but still pretty good. I though the roasted cauliflower was a little under-seasoned too.

Peony: We had another enjoyable meal at Rossoblu. I feel there has been a change of the flavor profile after they reopened post-Covid. None of the dishes we ordered today were very heavily seasoned. I particularly liked the simply flavored salmon crudo, the well-balanced mixed greens with anchovy dressing, and the lightly flavored corn risotto. I feel like all of these dishes are part of their new style, which I like.

Peony: Rossoblu is our go-to restaurant whenever we want to grab something nice but don’t have time to plan. Always reliable and consistent. Today’s meal was another great one too.

Warrior: We have lots of good memories at Rossoblu. We were on TV there when the fire broke out! The chicken cooked under a brick is a standout dish. Great flavor and texture; pairs perfectly with the Tuscan kale and date jus. The pumpkin risotto was fine but too sweet for me. The fritto misto was solid as always. The bread with dips was fine but underwhelming. The roasted cauliflower was very good.

3 Likes

Also there last night. Agree that reliable is a good descriptor, but would love to see a bit more creativity/new menu items in a town full of Italian/Cal-Ital. They appeared to be staggering the outdoor seatings to keep some distance between diners, which was appreciated.

Focaccia with anchovy butter, onion friggione, fava puree and sauteed escarole
Eggplant with tomato sugo, basil, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano

Char-grilled oyster with brown butter

Maltagliati, pioppini mushrooms, saba, dandelion greens, Parmigiano Reggiano

Whole grilled orata, Weiser Farm potato salad, Castelvetrano olive pesto

9 Likes

2 Likes