Ruen Pair - Thai Comforts

Sent this thread to my e-reader and will use as reference for tonight’s visit. First time visi–how long is the wait? Will get there between 7:30-8.

depends largely on party size.

It will be two for us.

Not sure I have ever eaten there at that time so I don’t know unfortunately. I have never waited for a table even though there have always been people there. I would guess max wait would be 20 min if any wait at all. For two, probably less.

Btw, order and snap a pic of the pork and olives! I should’ve taken a pic but I wasn’t thinking properly my last time there, it is seriously worth ordering.

And the morning glory, which I neglected to snap a pic of because I have it so often as well.

The pork and olive thing is the least obvious thing to order though, but you will thank me.

And try the clams!

And put vinegar on your salty turnip and egg :wink:

Probably ~15 min for a party of 2.

Sheesh, there’s only going to be two little Asian women eating…

But I’ll try my best to order as you suggest and snap pics. There so much to order and so little room…in my stomach.

Beauty about thai food…great as leftovers too!

1 Like

A true problem at Ruen Pair, but you will be fine. I never underestimate little Asian women, they typically seem like the most voracious diners. A long time ago I was at Roscoes and seated next to a table of small Asian girls who put every other table to shame. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack after a 1/4 of a bird and a waffle but these girls each ate practically a whole chicken and we’re ordering extra butter and syrup in amounts so high the waiter had troubling carrying it to the table… Totally wild as each of these girls looked to weigh maybe 100lbs. I don’t know where they out it all.

If you two are that kind of small Asian women, you should be good ordering the whole menu at Ruen Pair!

I ended up at Ruen Pair because of other people, how hilarious.

Unfortunately despite coming for years, of tou show up with enough white people getting spicy food isn’t even an option it seems :confused:

Oh well

Crispy Pork and Chinese Broccoli

Good, tasty, simple but somehow now as magical as the basic morning glory. Just wasn’t really sure what the pork truly added, but at least it wasn’t fried to total dryness. Intriguing textures given the chewiness of the astringent greens. Wish the sauce was hotter though; just in general needed more chiles imo.

Salty Turnip and Egg

You know: the shit :wink:

Ground Pork and Chinese Olives

One of the weirdest sounding, yet most addictive dishes I’ve ever tried. I do t understand this dish at all as it is kind of an unholy melange of buttery, crispy, meaty, charred splendor, tinged very slightly by some kind of light gang but nothing resembling the pungency of olives I am used to. I can’t figure it out, it it is strangely good.

Whole Deep-Fried Pampoano with Spicy Sauce

The spicy sauce was sadly not spicy at all. Other than that this was a pretty good fish for $19. Lots of meat; tons of crispy fried edges. The sauce was pungently garlicky and a joy to eat anyway. I just wish it had been spicy, sigh.

Also had panang with really great fried tofu, but forgot a photo.

Delectable and filling as always, it I need to figure out how to get them to make me spicier food. Maybe I have to come in alone and insist on Thai spicy stuff. Sigh.

Just say ’ Please make my food “Pet Pet” ’
They will, or they will bring you the standard quartet of Thai spices and you can “Pet Pet” it yourself

Well yeah I had them bring the quartet out, which is nice but lacks the flavors of fresh chiles. I kept asking for Thai spicy in everything… who knows maybe the spicy sauce isn’t really supposed to be spicy.

It was still a strangely good meal. I’ll try the pet pet thing though.

I also would like to know the trick to getting porridge here. I see Thai people eating it but they refuse to give it to me every time. One day I will acquire that $2 magic though… one day…

The chinese broccoli is not supposed to be a spicy dish, so not sure why you are wishing it was more hot, unless by hot, you were referring to the temperature. Not all thai dishes are meant to be spicy, I’m sure you know this.

Even the fried fish with hot and sour sauce, I don’t think it’s meant to be super spicy like a curry or som tum. I had similar dishes a bunch of times in thailand and they were never mouth burning spicy, rather just a hint of heat to balance the sour.

Just go to Siam Sunset for porridge

Does “spicy sauce” refer to hot and sour sauce?

The morning glory is usually made with some kind of sauce with more kick to it I guess.

I guess I don’t really go to Ruen Pair for typical high spice levels but thing seemed even more toned down than usual. Maybe just ordered poorly trying to branch out.

Is too bad, that fish in a truly spicy sauce would have really been awesome.

I could be wrong, but in my experience, I think the morning glory and the chinese broccoli are made with the same sauce.

Hence why my note of the sauce being less intense than usual. I wouldn’t say the morning glory is spicy but it has a kick to it that was noticeably lacking in last nights dish :confused:

I went here for lunch today and ordered the panang curry with fried tofu. that pic above just looked so good! and i’d never been here before and wanted to finally go. unfortunately they gave my food to the party of 6 that ordered just before i did. so that was annoying but accidents happen. i had a feeling something was not right when someone asked someone else at the table if they ordered what looked like a bunch of delicious fried tofu. I couldn’t hear the answer. eventually, they realized i didn’t have my order (no one at the table said anything about receiving the wrong meal) and apologized and 10 more minutes later i had my lunch. i thought it was very salty. is it supposed to be this way? i ordered it mild as i have to unfortunately now pick and choose my spicy dishes carefully (i love spicy but my stomach does not) and thought i could enjoy this one mild. but anyway, i was disappointed with my lunch and barely ate it. the salty turnip and egg looks really good, but i’m not sure i want to return after today.

That was my feeling after my first trip as well, but this thread convinced me to want to go back.

this may seem like a really dumb question, but you ate it with rice right?

yeah, totally…