Saison - SF

thanks for the kind words!

after t&t. contrast that with JR

JR seems like its too much food!

wtf whereā€™s the bread and butter from bella the cow?

1 Like

they had a bread course before?!

For clarification, was this a non-alcoholic beverage?

As always, I am in awe of your photos and detailed analysis.

thanks! i just wanna give back to ftc since i used it quite a bit before i became a member.

correct. i believe the pinot noir refers to the grape juice rather than the actual wine.

2 Likes

I did not know this was a thing; thank you!

pinot noir itself is ā€œjustā€ a grape like concord or thompson.

Until itā€™s fermentedā€¦and becomes Pinot Noir!

At Vespertine they offered GewĆ¼rztraminer juice.

2 Likes

Angler, where Skenes is chef rather than just an equity partner.

Quite possibly both from Navarro, which makes the best wine-grape juices Iā€™ve had, as well as the best verjuice. One time I tasted a ten-year-old GewĆ¼rztraminer, which had developed some of the character of aged wine.

https://www.navarrowine.com/shop/non-alcoholic-grape-juices

3 Likes

Whoa! I had no idea. I was curious about that verjus as well. Whether Saison would make their own or have some cool sourcing. Makes sense.

Always wanted to try this recipe

The English word is verjuice. The English and French both learned to make it from the Romans. Itā€™s not a kind of vinegar. You can get green grapes suitable for making verjuice at Persian markets in season.

1 Like

That coquinaria link is a great read!

As far as actual use goes this is the verjus Iā€™m most familiar with. Used to love messing with it in cocktails. incorporate it into a daiquiri or even mixed with calvados and citrus

To get back on track, $16 seems crazy per mocktail. I have a hard time imagining any quality of product/labor involved that could warrant the price.

I donā€™t like that brand, tasted weird to me. The Persian stuff is better and cheaper.

I use verjuice mostly as a substitute for vinegar to make a dish wine-friendly.

imagine my shock seeing that tab and thatā€™s before t&t :see_no_evil:

1 Like

@Robert you have a Persian brand you like?

That was what we used at work. Iā€™ve never sought any out of my own though seeing this post reminded me of my desire to. I found the Fusion brand to be a little cloying though as a flavor I thought it still worked as a background ingredient.

Hi @moonboy403,

Great report and pics. :slight_smile: Thanks for the update. We had 2 good friends go after the transition and they werenā€™t as impressed (still enjoyed it a lot, but not as good as when Chef Skenes was there and at full Michelin 3 Stars), so given that we held off on wanting to return.

And yes, as @PorkyBelly mentioned they had phenomenal freshly baked Bread & Butter from Bella the Cow (their own cow). It was a major highlight. Hereā€™s my writeup w/ pics. And you could get more of that amazing Bread and Butter if you wanted.

Thinking about it @PorkyBelly it wouldnā€™t even surprise me if Chef Skenes took Bella with him, LOL. It was probably part of Skenes Ranch, and when he split, he took the goodness with him. :wink:

2 Likes

gahhhhhhhhhh

1 Like

Saison and Angler reopening as barbecue joint

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/food/amp/Saison-and-Angler-launching-new-takeout-barbecue-15190597.php

3 Likes

This just in from Saison Cellars:

BOND 2016 - 750ml

Terroir Portfolio OWC- $3875
(1 bottle of each Melbury, Quella, St. Eden, Vecina and Pluribus)