Sake Talk Anyone?

OK for some reason I couldn’t scroll all the way down on my phone: here it is here from desktop:

Los Angeles Sake Festival November 9th • 11am-3pm

About this Event

Featuring sake selections from over 30 Japanese brewers, held at Yamashiro Hollywood. Ticket price inclusive of entry, sake, raffle ticket, and tasting glass.

IMPORTERS

• Sake Tengoku
  • World Sake Imports
  • Vine Connections
  • Mutual Trading Co
  • Sakeman
  • Enter Sake
  • Sake Suki
  • Floating World Sake
  • Fifth Taste
  • Joto
  • Skurnik
  • More to be announced

SAKE PRODUCERS

• Miyasaka - Junmai
  • Dewazakura - Ginjo
  • Seitoku - Junmai Ginjo
  • Tedorigawa - Yamahai Daiginjo
  • Kamoizumi - Aged
  • Mana 1751 - Yamahai Tokubetsu Junmai Muroka Genshu
  • Yamada Shoten - Tokubetsu Junmai
  • Yuho - Junmai
  • Tensei - Tokubetsu Honjozo
  • Fukucho - Junmai Ginjo
  • Kiminoi - Junmai Ginjo Yamahai
  • Kiminoi - Junmai Yamahai
  • Yuki Otoko - Junmai
  • Kirinzan - Junmai Daiginjo
  • Karen - Junmai
  • Heiwa Shuzo - Junmai
  • Heiwa Shuzo - Junmai Daiginjo
  • Heiwa Shuzo - Nigori
  • Manzairaku - Yamahai Junmai
  • Kagatsuru - Junmai
  • Taiheizan - Kimoto Junmai
  • Chogetsu - Junmai Ginjo
  • Hakugyokko - Yamahai Muroka Nama Genshu
  • Akishika - Muroka Nama Genshu
  • Kaze no Mori - Muroka Nama
  • Tsukasabotan - Yamayuzu
  • Wakatake - Daiginjo
  • Narutotai - Ginjo Nama Genshu
  • Shichi Hon Yari - Junmai
  • Taiheikai Tokubetsu - Junmai
  • Kameizumi - Junmai Ginjo Nama Genshu
  • Brooklyn Kura - Junmai
  • Brooklyn Kura - Junmai Ginjo

BEER

• Coedo - Logos
  • Coedo - West to East IPA
  • Coedo - Sayama Saison
  • Asahi Beer - Lager

FOOD

• Bentos by Kensho
  • Tacos by El Ruso
  • Seafood by Broad Street Oyster Co

MUSIC

• DJ Jihaari will be spinning vinyl all day

SHOP

*** Retail partner, domaineLA will be taking orders. Option for in-store pick up or delivery for orders within California.**

Good opportunity to pick up/special order items you otherwise cannot get anywhere else within LA/OC once you tasted something you like.

4 Likes

What place are you referring to?

Kanpai by LAX & LMU that @TheCookie mentioned

Edit appearantly i can’t read properly and jumped to conclusions since That is also the name of a sushi restaurant that hosts sake events as well.

My bad / gomenasai

2 Likes

I know, that’s a long list, right? Seems really worth it. And we live really close to domaineLA for pickups. I love that they’re getting more Sake friendly.

Please!!!

We were thinking of finally doing that cancelled NoCal/SF trip in early November. But this seems worth staying home for. As usual, L.A. gets in the way. :grin:

Kanpai is Kerry Tamura’s IG handle. But now you have me wanting to go Kanpai Sushi! :blush:

1 Like

Just in case you didn’t see my review for sake at Domaine LA from earlier this month.

1 Like

Oh no, I didn’t! I’m so behind on reading old posts that I hardly go in the “new” section. But I love being tagged. :wink:

It’s certainly a neighborhood place that i wouldnt go out of your way for but it’s louder and more vibrant (in a good way) than most sushi bars, mix of friendly local couples and LMU students. The one by LMU is almost always busy. And the sake list is pretty big… Couldn’t find it online but it has its own book

1 Like

Oh yes, of course. I like to have good foodie recs for when we happen to be in a particular ‘hood. Thanks!

1 Like

Has anyone seen bottles of Heiwa Shuzo KID for sale in store? I had it at a restaurant and enjoyed it enough to grab a bottle. Comes in a pink bottle.

TIA

@A5KOBE Are you in OC or LA? From what I can see, Fifth Taste Sake is involved with this brand. If you are in LA, both Fifth Taste and Heiwa Shuzo are in the above list beefnoguy posted about the Sake Festival and domaineLA will likely be stocking them.

If you are in OC, I saw them before at Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa but don’t believe they were there on my last visit. However, their seemingly monthly sake tasting features Fifth Taste this month on Oct. 30. I would therefore presume that Heiwa Shuzo Kid will be available there sometime around then.

If neither location works, perhaps you could consider messaging Fifth Taste through their social media at https://www.instagram.com/fifth_taste/? Not sure how outside the norm that might be and their site appears to still be under construction. Also not sure who else is selling this one. Good luck! I had that one my last trip to Japan and enjoyed it as well.

1 Like

Fifth Taste is the California based distributor for the importer Sake Saki (based in NY) whose portfolio includes Manzairaku and Kid. Fifth Taste also reps some of the Floating World sake portfolio, pretty much all the Taiheizan/Chogetsu as well as the name sake by Akishika, Kaze no Mori. Currently the only available Kid sake are the Junmai Daiginjo Yamadanishiki (red characters that is probably the “pink” bottle), a Junmai (gold characters), and a nigori sake. I’d say just go to this event, taste, and pre-order/buy what you like.

Alternatively, one can just call Domaine LA as close to the event and ask if special ordering can be done on any of the sake even after the event has passed.

Kid is very easy to drink, although a bit too light bodied for me.

Alternatively if you do not want to wait, the Kid Junmai Daiginjo is available for mail order from True Sake

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I think I saw it at Hi-Times before but that was a while ago, I’ll check them out when I’m out there. Last time I was there I grabbed the Kuroushi Junmai Ginjo which was quite good. Never been to Domaine, ill check it out as well.

@beefnoguy thanks for the intel!

1 Like

Yes Hi-Time does carry some of the Sake Suki / Fifth Taste selections and you’re right they did have Kid in stock at one point but probably sold out and they didn’t get more. It might be worthwhile to attend that tasting on 10/30, as chances are you will likely be able to buy whatever is being poured that day.

2 Likes

I recently met with Fifth Taste, and I can confirm that whatever is going to be poured for tasting at the 10/30 event at Hi Time, will also be available for purchase.

So whoever is interested, I highly recommend going to taste his great versatile portfolio, especially any of the nama sake. I already suggested to him to bring all three bottles of Kid but he is still deciding on exactly what to pour.

Also highly recommend that if anyone goes to buy nama sake, bring a cold storage bag with a freezer pack to keep it chilled during transit back home and get it right into your refrigerators.

1 Like

Dangit wish I wasn’t out of town on a business trip. :sob: Will have to stop by to see what new offerings they have after the tasting!

On a separate note, are there any sake that are fine to be stored at room temperature? Is it a best practice to store sake in refrigerators?

I was at Tokyo Central recently and saw a lot of sake on the shelves and was wondering about it. I picked up a bottle of Nanbu Bijin’s Tokubetsu Junmai “Southern Beauty” and I’m wondering if it’ll have changed much based on having sat there unrefrigerated. Maybe I should have asked the question before I bought the sake lol.

If you can still make it to Kanpai LA Fifth Taste will be there pouring as well, although I do not know if what he pours at Hi Time is different than for Kanpai LA. Also at Kanpai LA whatever you taste that you like, you can pre-order and pickup at Domaine LA. The caveat is that you have to pay $50 or so for an admission ticket, and the show is during the day (daytime drinking is a bit whack)…although Yamashiro might want all tasting tables vacated and packed up in time for dinner service.

Nanbu Bijin Tokubetsu Junmai can be stored at room temperature and you just refrigerate it prior to serving. Just keep the temperature stable, cool dark place after buying.

Tokyo Central’s storage/handling will depend on how low their ambient temperature is in the supermarket (and thus affect their quality), and what that looks like after hours. There’s also the fact the bottle has no date, and you don’t know how old the stock is. If the sake tastes fine to you, then that might be alright…but I wouldn’t do it necessarily for the higher end sake unless they are properly refrigerated.

I’ve tasted one Nanbu Bijin Tokubetsu Junmai I bought at a lower price at San Francisco Nijiya and it was a bit off and probably old stock…but the one I got from True Sake was good.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I’ll be missing the Kanpai LA because of a dentist appointment I can’t reschedule. :frowning_face:

Really enjoying this Shichi Hon Yari Shizuku Junmai Daiginjo. Paired it with some excellent Santa Barbara spot prawns I grilled up over charcoal and a chirashi style rice I made and it was damn good.

3 Likes

John Gaunter explains Japanese sake and food pairing in a very structured, thoughtful, and insightful manner (youtube video link below, upload is dated 2014). Quite a few things I had similar thoughts about that he confirmed to be true.

Highly recommend that everyone who is following/reading this thread and appreciates sake, please take a look.

3 Likes