Salazar - Opening May 26

Hmm… I have heard of this thing. They mention it in Harper’s a lot.

1 Like

I specifically bought a fashionable coat for when it hits low 60’s. i literally ripped it off the mannequin at the store b/c they didn’t have my size on the rack! Hah! :wink:

To make this slightly less illogical, I think low 60’s is like freezing, too, but I think of it as an excuse to get a little dressed up. :wink:

1 Like

SoCal fo’ life.

(No, seriously, life like cannot exist for us anywhere else where it dips below 50.)

Oh, no, I get it. And I do not apologize for being weather-spoiled. :wink: One of my colleagues told me about how he used to have to chip away at the ice blocking access to the key slot on his car door when he lived in Nebraska. Oy. No, thanks! :wink:

2 Likes

This former EastCoaster had to drive uphills on black ice to work daily during autumn/winter/spring while enduring concomitant sleet and pomelo-sized hail. Both ways.

So yeah, SoCal is Valhalla.

Dressed up - pressed short pants v. nonpressed.

#permanenttanline

1 Like

anywho, the jamaica cocktails is DONESKI, as is the first batch of tepache. Instead, barman came up with the guayaba agua fresca cocktail, and it is, as the kids would say, the bomb.

spent the afternoon basking in the glorious LA River adjacent sun, with some time playing in the sand with ladybugs.

the place was packed to the gills and then some.

1 Like

was this on a weekend or during the week?

would you recommend waiting for the initial buzz to die down for us folks afraid of
other folks?

thanks.

Unless you have friends visiting from Miami who are literally shivering in 72 degree weather in December.

This was during the weekend. You can’t tell from the background but every single friggin seat was taken. The stroller mafia might be a bit off-putting to some, but if you can’t beat them, join them?

Not sure if the initial buzz will die because there literally is no better place for day drinking in the hood with easy parking and cocktails this good.

I know you’re all about (week)day drinking…

true dat.

the food isn’t worth eating, though?

From JGold’s weekly Wednesday Q&A just now (when asked about Salazar):

“It takes time for any chef to master the nuances of a new wood grill, and the flour tortillas, made with local Grist & Toll flour, are still being worked out, but Salazar is really enjoyable. At this point, I pretty much want to go there every night for the grilled pork chops, the carne asada tacos, and the best Palomas in the city.”

3 Likes

Speaking of “worth”, I really do not understand how anyone can complain about $3.25 tacos when they’re using Creekstone Farm beef over a wood grill, and paying everyone living wages after spending so much $ + time on that badass build-out.

My local asada al carbon truck’s beef quality so shitty (at $1.25) I had to switch trucks (at $1.50) and just stop thinking about whether its the same downer cow as In N Out.

I dug the veggie tacos with the “mild” hot sauce; the al pastor had great flavor. Vaven’t had the big ass steak yet.

4 Likes

Went yesterday evening.

Beautiful outdoor space - love how they kept vestiges of the repair shop and combined them with local plants and comfortable seating. The heat lamps were cranked and honestly, they were too warm for me. Had to switch places with someone else in our party.

The paloma cocktail was pretty damn good although felt a little light on the booze.

Seems the kinks have been worked out of the tortillas - some of the best I’ve had in a while. They’re satisfyingly chewy with a bit of pull. I initially balked at the price of their tacos given what I can get at nearby trucks but this is a different experience. Delicious combo of textures and tastes. Can really taste the wood smoke on the meat. Had al pastor and carne asada - they don’t have offal or anything especially adventurous or esoteric.

Service was not what I’d call blazing fast but we were in no hurry. We lingered over cocktails and ordered food in dribs and drabs. There was a line but we didn’t feel as if they were rushing us out the door.

The area needs more outdoor dining/drinking destinations like this. Will happily go back.

Given the hyper-studied aesthetic of the place, gotta assume their website design is ironic. Irony is exhausting.

http://salazarla.com/

5 Likes

Rickys does homemade horchata for $1. Yes the Fish Taco King.