Salt Bae Opened His First LA Restaurant Last Weekend, and Almost No One Noticed

I guess that’s what it takes to get people to pay $250 for $4 worth of gold leaf.

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

You cannot unsee what you’ve seen.

4 Likes

With a mouth full of gold leaf, no one can hear you scream…

7 Likes

I’ve eaten very small pieces of gold leaf (gold sclager and on some random desserts).

Has anyone eaten a large portion of gold leaf? Is it akin to eating aluminum? Is it hard to chew?

1 Like
1 Like

more power to him if he can charge these prices and get away with it.

5 Likes

It’s never a large portion, just a layer on top a few millionths of an inch thick. If you had your eyes closed you might not know it was there.

Are we sure about that? Isn’t there a point where one should frown upon an Insta douche capitalizing on morons by charging them $1,000 for gold leaf? If it’s just overpriced food, that’d be fine. If people choose to waste $30 on a likely lackluster blooming onion, they’re gastronomic suckers, but people blow money all the time. It’s the gratuitous conspicuous consumption that he’s seizing upon though. Buy a $1,000 bottle of wine, live and let live, good for them. Buy a Bentley, good for them. But piss away $1,000 on gold leafed mediocre steak, they’re complete idiots and his business model encouraging that should be ridiculed.

2 Likes

Who decides that $1000 for a bottle of wine is just splurging and “good for them” but $1000 gold covered steak should be ridiculed? You? It’s not your money, why do you care? And have you had his “mediocre steak”? I sure haven’t and don’t plan on but people seem to think he makes a great steak. Outside of the gold upcharge, I’m willing to bet that it’s probably an above average steak.

3 Likes

https://www.esquireme.com/content/42597-someone-called-the-cops-on-salt-baes-gold-steak

1 Like
6 Likes

:laughing:

Man I just went down a deep rabbit hole. Searching #goldsteak on Instagram just proves this guy is a f”n genius.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDSBmkWHsAY/?igshid=f8lfl6sp1hnf

im dead.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZ6kTJhPX5/?igshid=1pth230szivci

2 Likes

They match his shades.

People are willing to drop $1000 on his steak because they can take a video/pictures of themselves with him. Everyone knows who he is, and people love posing with celebrities. It’s scientifically proven that your insta-clout increases by 36% by doing so :rofl:

I guarantee you half the people spending that would think twice if he wasn’t at the restaurant. That’s why he’s constantly traveling to all his locations.

If you still drop that kind of money when he isn’t there, maybe you’re just very wealthy and no one ever told you that gold leaf can be bought on amazon for $15

1 Like

Tons of videos of people ordering when he is not there. It’s amazing. I am $green$ with envy.

2 Likes

Yea, so tons of people are just very wealthy who like to be flashy. $1000 gold steak, $100,000 gold watch!

There’s less than a 1-in-10 chance that he’ll be at any one of his restaurants on a given night.

Recent Yelp ratings for the NY branch (which opened in 2018) seem to be around 40% each one and five stars, so clearly there’s a market.