Saltie Girl - West Hollywood

Has anyone been here? Hugely popular in Boston and heard people say it’s better than Connie & Ted’s, May check it out soon

1 Like

Looks really good. I might see if my wife wants to go here on her birthday in a week or so. Either that or Bar Chelou in Pasadena. Hmmm.

2 Likes

Bar Chelou looks really good but I might wait longer before going to a restaurant that just opened a week prior, just my two cents. I’ve heard great things about Saltie Girl and plan to go soon

3 Likes

@porkybelly and I have different M.O.'s lol… #TrynaScoopEater

5 Likes

Hey, you do you! but I wouldn’t risk a birthday dinner at a week-old restaurant. Also having been to plenty of brand-new restaurants the experiences aren’t always indicative of how the restaurant will end up. I try and wait at least a few weeks, ideally a month.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s a risk but it is also nice to go before it is discovered by the masses. Also, chefs pay more attention at the beginning. No meal is guaranteed, really.

1 Like

also somewhat true, but my issue with early visits is more FOH service and pacing of meals vs. quality of food, which of course is variable in any visit. If you try Bar Chelou, please share your experience!

I’ve decided not to try Bar Chelou based on their limited menu. That’s often something which changes over time too so I wouldn’t rule out a visit after they’ve had a while to figure out what works and perhaps fatten their menu.

1 Like

We’re booked at Saltie Girl a week from today.

2 Likes

IIRC, the late restaurant critic Elmer Dills mentioned waiting six months for new restaurants to work out the kinks and cut dishes that just didn’t work.

2 Likes

I’ve been to the one in Boston. It was aiight. Fried lobster and waffles was more hype than substance IMO. Def not better than Connie and Ted’s.

I’d still give it a shot for brunch — can’t have too many brunch options.

1 Like

I see the reasoning for that. But in L.A., sometimes the restaurants have lived their full lifetimes and are closed by the 6-month mark. #EatItBeforeItGoesExtinctLOL #SlowBurned

4 Likes

Grace Dent from The Guardian reviewed the London location:

2 Likes

Sad but true. Wink and they’re gone. The pandemic certainly hasn’t helped.

2 Likes

what kind of restaurant doesn’t have a phone number?

One that doesn’t take reservations.

I tell this joke to a restaurant’s hostess:

I have reservations, but I decided to eat here anyway.

3 Likes

Elmer Dills wooo that’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. These days restaurants open and close within 6 months. I think 3-6 weeks is a solid time frame for a place to get into gear.

3 Likes

Three weeks is cutting it a little close.

Restaurants with no public phone number are increasingly common.

It costs money to pay people to answer the phone and if they take reservations customers can do it online.

3 Likes

What about for people who like to walk-in? It’s always nice (and normal) being able to call ahead to see if there is availability rather than just go in blind. Not having anyone at a phone seems crazy to me

2 Likes