San Gabriel Valley recommendations

Gosh I been going to SGV regularly since the late 80’s, I was just a kid though so I never really appreciated the complete joys of the food scene. Meals were fit in between shopping, temple, movies (remember the Chinese movie theatre by Focus Plaza and Shau May-Kang Kang?), grocery shopping, appointments, etc. Then as I got older thru high school I was pretty content with the late night cafes you know AzN-Americans teens in the 90’s lol certain car scents you get at those cutesy stores in SGV remind me of that time…

While I appreciate the Eater coverage on my beloved neighborhood I dread reading these updates because some damn mainland Sichuan hot pot chain is opening up.

I still don’t personally get the eating out for hot pot thing that always been a thing during holiday, special occasion, etc. It really requires NO special skill like Po Po making her own dumplings and noodles or Uncle stir frying like a Boss! Make a simple broth and buy a ton of veggies, protein, fish balls/cakes, etc. Take your sweet ass time. At some point we are going to take the broth and make a quick noodle soup. If I am eating out one of the top reasons is I can’t make it at home. A kid can make a hot pot spread. Why are we lining up some Mainlanders pockets with freaking hot pot? Paying for hot pot is just lol.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Because it is delicious!

Probably too late for OP but since the thread has a general title it seems like a good place. I was wondering if Tony C’s Eater LA list posted by @ipsedixit a while back is still relevant. Any of your favorites on here? Any you loathe?