San Ho Won

nothing to add beyond what has already been said - this place is truly outstanding. the galbi being sous-vide[d] first made the texture of the cartilage around the bone almost fat-like in texture.

their last seating is at 10, and there’s often reservations that open up for 9:30 or 10 the day of or the next day, if you’re able to be flexible about when you go

true laurel a couple blocks away for drinks beforehand is an ideal combo

I missed the QR code for the glossary. What a great idea.

I had their takeout during the pandemic; it was amazing, especially the salads; lots of interesting unique Korean dishes I had not seen on other menus. Still need to make it out the brick and mortar!

one point on whether to reserve the house menu or general menu - i think for first time visit, house menu offers great value at the cost of not being able to choose some of the more interesting meats or other dishes not on the house menu, but after the first visit, a la carte is definitely the way to go

1 Like

I would also recommend going a la carte if you have a larger group. This fed 6 people. OOE meat.

5 Likes

That does sound very good and refreshing. Korean food does the cold vs. ‘hot’ contrast (iced broth vs. hot mustard and vinegary dongchimi broth) and chewy vs. crunchy (cucumber and maybe asian pear vs. tendon and jelly) so well, like in mul-naengmyeon. I haven’t had red cabbage in this kind of soup before, but I can see the crunch working. I like the idea of tendon in soup, great texture. I’d love it in naengmyeon and it’s great with Chinese ho-fun soup noodles as well.

1 Like

Smoking tiger sweatshirt for sale. Unfortunately their largest size is too small for me.

If you want a different size, looks like they’re still available:

1 Like

Amuse banchan. Also got the little tofu thing. Great start.

This unpasteurized makgeolli is delicious and went great with all the food.

Hwe muchim of dry-aged halibut plus baechu, perilla, and chonggak kimchis. So good. Remarkable to compare the fresh and fermented perilla leaves.

Wild baby onion and shrimp pancake. Best jeon I’ve had. I’m glad the soondae was off the menu since we would probably have ordered that instead.

Grilled tteok, nice mochi-ish texture.

Ssam and sauces for the beef. Ssamjang is exceptional.

Rib cap was a little disappointing, probably because what I crave is corn-finished and long dry-aged, but still great with the wraps and ssamjang. Next time I’ll try the tongue or pork.

That was plenty of food for two, I’d have been happy if the bowl was all fluffy coconut ice, which is insanely delicious. The mango was good too. The Wild Tree Yunnan Red tea was fascinating. The Fragrant Leaf green tea was beyond my limited tea-appreciation skills.

With that steep corkage I probably won’t bring wine again, especially given how good that Sang makgeolli is. I want to go back again soon.