San Juan Capistrano area

Anyone got recs for the area aside from heritage. Headed down for a couple a days in a week or so.

5 Likes

Mayfield is pretty darn good. Or was a year ago or so

2 Likes

Kawamata Seafood (Capistrano Beach): Best poke in SoCal.

13 Likes

Second the Ramen Shack rec… Every aspect of the bowl was great.

3 Likes

Definitely Kawamata, make sure you get it with Hawaiian seaweed (extra if you can).

Riders Club Cafe has a pretty damn hood burger. I don’t think you want more meat though after Heritage.

Heard nothing but good things with Ramen Shack and Heritage.

Break A Dawn if the chef is still doing breakfast and brunch in that area but I heard he might be moving up to Orange.

It’s the land of chains in south oc but there are some gems.

2 Likes

Check out FKN Bread for baked goods.

2 Likes

Break of Dawn has closed in Laguna Hills. Their info says re-opening in Orange.

2 Likes

Ohhh definitely booking mayfield.

Anyone heard anything about Bottega Angelina, eater seems to like them but the ppl reviews seem quite mixed.

Thanks!

Mayfield is great, same chef/owner as Mh Zh that was in silverlake

2 Likes

Didn’t know mh zh closed really enjoyed my meal there years ago.

2 Likes

This is huge news to me! Loved Mh Zh

1 Like

Laguna and San Clemente Brussels Bistro is pretty solid if you stick to the Belgian dishes.
Dana Point-if you want to have an experience, Turks at Dana pt harbor. Its a trip. Fish and chips are good. Burger was good last time I was there as well. Its mostly a bar, but a bar like you don’t see around anymore. Waitresses are grumpy and can be slow but its fun to people watch with a beer.
-Dana Kai, sushi and they do some unusual preparations and its expensive but as I recall the fish was great quality. Havent been since covid so, old info.
-Parallel Pizza, its their own style but the stinger is fun and different.
San Clemente
-theres a Pizza Port if you like their beer

Have fun!

3 Likes

I love pizza port! Thanks for the recs, will have to check them out!

1 Like

The beer is great as always at Pizza Port, but definitely wouldn’t go in with high expectations for the food–good for a few appetizers maybe, but we were pretty underwhelmed.

2 Likes

Vine restaurant is in the same block as Pizza Port. Whole other thing and very good.

1 Like

think i remember theyre redeveloping the shopping center into housing. otherwise break of dawn was still busy as ever when i went there.

1 Like

The area of the shopping center immediately adjacent to where Break of Dawn was is now a multi unit residential property with retail on the ground floor of the side facing the center. The space where B of D was is still there.

FWIW - We do take out from Ma’s House, a halal Chinese place, in the space next door and there was another name on the BoD space a few weeks ago. It said Balvina’s Kitchen. It appears to be a Mexican place but we haven’t tried it yet. Looks pretty pricey but hopefully it’s worth it.

https://yelp.to/vnzBRWczEqb

3 Likes

The OC Register had an article about it: https://www.ocregister.com/2022/01/16/how-balvinas-mexican-kitchen-keeps-delicious-traditions-alive

Article says it is run by a former Break of Dawn manager.

1 Like

Paywall but thanks.