San Pedro Italian Bakeries

A few friends who have spent a fair amount of time in the north end of Our Fair City (Boston MA) we’re waxing poetic about the Cannoli from Mike’s Pastry which you can always find a few boxes coming off of any Logan to LAX flight. So a couple of us were thinking of wandering around San Pedro’s Italian markets to pick up many provisions but we’re hoping there might be a bakery down their which might have cannolis reminiscent of Mike’s. Anyone have a suggestion? San Pedro and South Bay only. Thanks!

This made me look up Amalfitano’s which was part of a crawl we did a few years ago. I didn’t realize they closed down during the pandemic. That was pretty good if I recall from the different items we tried.

1 Like

How about eatalian they have a pretty good dessert selection which I believe includes cannolis

1 Like

Jonathan Gold said Drago’s were the best.

https://dragocentro.com/menus/dinner-dessert-menu/

Why San Pedro?

Because there are quite a few Italian markets where you can get some incredible ingredients like handmade Sicilian sausage at A1 Imported groceries Also when @Dommy was a kid that was the best area in LA to get pizza. We’re heading down with some Emerson classmates, the wife lived across from Mike’s Pastry half the time she was there. So that’s why San Pedro. Why a bakery not a restaurant? So we can buy a box and share and not have to spend a lot of money on dinner first.

3 Likes

If San Pedro was once a hotbed of Italian bakeries and groceries, I’m not sure that’s the case any more.

It’s been a few years, but I remember the cannolis at Giuliano’s Deli in Gardena being pretty good.

3 Likes

Back in June I watched the Euro Cup semifinal at the Italian American Club of San Pedro and the cannoli maker was very talented… not sure if the info of that vendor is retrievable somewhere but it’s worth looking or reaching out to the club.

4 Likes

Well then, you should get out of the house more often @robert. We go every couple of months to get stuff from said markets we just don’t know the Italian bakeries at all. Also, there might be a Japanese bakery near by in the South Bay which might have there own take on the Cannoli which could be out of this world.

As Jim Leff might say, you’ve got to be willing to have bad food to find the awesome food. Otherwise your not a Chowhound, you’re a foodie only going to places people tell you to go. Not finding the rare gems.

5 Likes

Demographics change and businesses shift accordingly. You might go looking for what used to be there and find something else. I’m thinking of spending a week nearby one of these days to check out the Japanese food scene.

I rarely have to eat bad or mediocre food to find great food. Sometimes looking at or smelling it is enough to let me know to pass by or dig in. Especially at bakeries.

Though you might have to eat a lot of pretty but soggy and cloying cannoli to find a great one.

1 Like

Your best bet is probably Pirozzi’s. Their cannoli are pretty good, especially if you get them to make them fresh for you. FYI - just across the street is Polly Ann bakery which isn’t an Italian Bakery but is a super charming old school bakery. Amalfitano’s closing down was such a loss. Santa Fe Importers in Long Beach might be another option.

3 Likes

Joseph’s Bakery is about as old school San Pedro you can get

Joseph’s Bakery
(310) 833-1921
https://goo.gl/maps/dCzf85sk8MBuKY4fA

4 Likes

I just had a cannoli from Giuliano’s Deli in Gardena on Saturday. I thought it was pretty good and reasonably priced but what would I know, I am a native Californian. :slight_smile: I enjoy my visits and always leave with a variety of their products. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thanks for all of the recommendations. As I said I’m not a sweets person but was down there 4 months ago at A1 market getting their excellent Sicilian sausage among other things. Also stopping at Chori-Man and the non Italian bakery next door.

I’ll let you know if we find a few more gems down there.

2 Likes

Very good decision.

1 Like

Do you guys like Colussus Bread? What do you like? I got some conflicting reports. We want to take the kids to the big bell down there one weekend and was going to do the Chori Man Colussus bang bang.

2 Likes

@Dommy loves their granola. She thinks it’s the best in LA. There bread is really good too. The coffee is meh and we haven’t had many pastries since we’re getting something at Chori-Man at the same time

3 Likes

I’m a huge fan of their pastries, especially their kouign-amann which I tried recently thanks to @Jase’s recommendation. I’m not a big bread person, but I’ve tried their country loaf and brioche and liked them a lot. I thought their jambon beurre and breakfast sandwich were pretty good as well.

6 Likes

Really liked their bread. Ever since Lodge embraced the Burnt Loaf thing… Colussus has been my favorite. But I have yet to try Issac bread… it’s on the list for birthday week…

–Dommy!

4 Likes