Santa Ana/OC Recommendations

Shiiiiiiit. I did not know this. That is terrible news.

So is Theorem effectively just an over-flow, auxiliary bar for weekends when they have their most traffic? Their website still makes it sound like they make different, custom coffee concoctions, but maybe the site just hasn’t been update?

1 Like

I remember reading an Instagram post saying that during weekdays they use the bar to train new staff.

1 Like

Last time I went to Brodard the rolls were too tightly packed and pre-made (I guess it also depends on your luck and time of day).

The young coconut jello is tasty

Thach duai trai

Tried and true and perhaps a bit pedestrian/safe, though Sushi Koto in Fountain Valley has some rather excellent kaisendon.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification, @PorkyBelly. I haven’t had mini banh xeo, but they look really great.

Good to hear that Portola is a nationally-recognized roaster, @Aesthete. Can’t wait to try their coffee! Shame to hear about Theorem limiting their hours. However, I just started following Portola on Instagram, and they just announced a beer collaboration with Chapman Crafted Beers: Portola Coffee Roasters on Instagram: "Portola Coffee drinkers, meet "Slo Riser 2.0" -  our latest coffee beer collaboration with the recently opened Chapman Crafted Beers in Old Town Orange. It's a red ale infused with a blend of our natural processed Ethiopia Ardi and our La Milagrosa Mixto Natural.  It is also being entered into the new coffee beer category for lighter beers at the Great American Beer Festival.  Could this be medal #11 for Portola coffee beers? Go grab a cold brew or latte at our Orange location in Provisions Market and get over to their tasting room to partake is this delicious beer. 🍺"

Thanks for the info, @beefnoguy! The coconut jello and kaisendon look wonderful!

I am sure it is a great beer, but I can assure that t will not be available at any Portola locations.

You can only get it at Chapman Crafted Beers.

Yeah. I was clarifying in case anyone thought they could get that at Theorem. They actually did 6 coffee beers that were nonalcoholic at Theorem at one point but their brewery collabs are different.

Register for the “MINI BÛCHE DE NOËL” class on 12/17, then you can make it all year long. :slight_smile:

http://www.stephanetreand.com/new-events/2016/12/17/mini-bche-de-nol

2 Likes

Team building activities? I’ll be giving my coworkers the peoples elbow for the last slice. :joy:

3 Likes

After a 3 1/2 hour drive yesterday from Oxnard to Santa Ana, I desperately needed a cup of coffee. Luckily, the 4th Street Market was fairly close by. I was really pleased with my iced latte with an extra shot of espresso for good measure. It was a complex cup of coffee - robust yet balanced.

Later my husband and I headed over to Cream Pan to pick up some treats. I bought a box of strawberry croissants for my family, but snagged one for myself. I ate it much later in the evening, and the pastry was still flaky. The cream was lush, but wasn’t overly sweet, and the strawberries added just the right tartness. The whole thing was liberally sprinkled with powdered sugar. I’m sure that it would’ve been best that morning, but it was still very good several hours later.

Apologies for the lack of light in the photo.

As we loaded up our goodies in the car, I got a call from my father, indicating that his training was ending several hours earlier than expected. So unfortunately out went the plans to pick up ume shiso soba from Tanakaya (since they weren’t open yet) and banh xeo from Brodard… I have to admit I was pretty disappointed. So we ended up walking around that area of Tustin for a little bit. As we approached The Rye Truck, it pulled away. My unlucky streak wasn’t abating at this point. I did manage to buy a good rooibos iced tea from Zama Tea.

After that we picked up my dad and headed back on the freeway, stopping to get sandwiches at Mendocino Farms in Westlake Village. My caprese sandwich was good, but it was a bit of a letdown since I had my heart set on Vietnamese and Japanese food, but oh well.

This afternoon I dug into the matcha cake from Cream Pan that I had squirreled away. The sponge was still fresh, and I loved the distinct matcha and ogura (sweet red bean) layers. The whole thing was light as a feather - even though it was highly calorific. While their pastries are not elevated as Patisserie Chantilly, Cream Pan is a solid Japanese-style bakery, and I’d love to explore more of their menu.

Many thanks to everyone for your very thoughtful recommendations. Sadly, things didn’t turn out to plan, but I’d love to have another food adventure in Orange County soonish.

10 Likes

That cake :kissing_closed_eyes:.

2 Likes

And the photo composition! :+1:

3 Likes

I tease her that her pictures could be in Martha Stewart Living. Sooo pretty.

3 Likes

The few pix that I throw in look like impromptu amateur shots from a strip joint next to her artwork - not that I’d know anything about stuff like that - calling @Ns1 more expert advice… :innocent:

3 Likes

That literally made me LOL.

1 Like

Ha ha, you guys are making me blush, @TheCookie @bulavinaka. I’m not good at taking compliments. Well, I managed to dig up one of my first attempts at taking food pics. Is this profoundly unappetizing or what?! Bulavinaka, I’m sure your photos are much better than this atrocity. Edit: I should say this home-cooked meal by my MIL was great, but this photo - not so much.

4 Likes

WOW. Nice… colors. That would be what’s called “The Money Shot,” right @Ns1?:smiling_imp:

1 Like

I like the korokke pan. It is carb on carb on carb. I wish I knew what time the korokke comes out of the fryer, that would be amazing. Hmmm…time to do some sleuthing.

1 Like

You’ve come a long way baby.

1 Like

Turquoise and red are my favorite colors.

3 Likes