Santa Barbara Recs?

Glad you enjoyed it! Great photos.

Going back up in September for 3 days/2nights. Here is my initial list based on past visits and recent info on this thread. Anybody have others to add into consideration? We want to go wine tasting one day and have been to Paso - anybody have specific area/wineries they recommend within 20-30 minute drive of the area?

Breakfast/Coffee
Handlebar Coffee
Helena Ave Bakery

Desserts
Recipes Bakery
Lilac Patisserie
McConnells

Lunches
Super Rica
Lucky Penny
Los Agaves

Dinners
The Lark
Loquito

2 Likes

A little further than 20-30 minutes (about 40) is Saarloos and Sons in Los Olivos. They have the best wines I’ve had up there. They do (or used to do) pairings with scratch-made mini cupcakes. I thought it was weird at first, but it was great. My ex wife and I were club members for years.

Thanks @OCSteve. Los Olivos looks like a fun town. Not familiar with Saarlos and Sons but will keep this in our back pocket. It’s a bit further than I want to drive but doable.

When we used to go, we would use a shuttle service (Cloud Climbers was one of them) to take us out there from SB, drive us to different wineries, and drive us back at the end of the day. We would usually hit 4-5 wineries. Not sure if you have that much time, but it’s a fun day.

1 Like

Solid plan.
I might also consider Bibiji for a different take on Indian. I like what they are doing with wine, I love what they are doing with beer, and their limited menu is surprisingly tasty.
I can’t say it’s better than Lark or Loquito, but since you’ll be hitting Lucky Penny, Helena Ave. Bakers AND Lark, all owned by the same group, you might seek a different perspective.

Also, I’m kinda over La Super Rica these days. It’s still as good as ever, but I got a little burnt out on them. Corazon Cocina in the Public Market is what I’m liking these days.

I only went once and thought it was ok. Wanted to try it again. I think @ipsedixit also mentioned Corazaon Cocina. We’ll see. May skip LSR if the lines end up being too long.

Almost every restaurant mentioned on the thread is on this list

LSR lines are short at off-peak hours. I think we caught it at around 2PM. Quick bang and then on the freeway home.

Ill write tomorrow. If you’re in Los Olivos, the top quality in town are Dragonette and Samsara

Best in SB is Whitcraft.

Barbareño we’ve had amazing dinner at after wine at Au Bob Climat and Marjoram walking distance

@Nemroz thanks.
We like the idea of staying in Santa Barbara and not having to drive around a lot, especially with kids in tow.

1 Like

Then you’ve got several options in town. I’d vouch for Whitcraft, Au Bon Climat, Kuni, Jaffurs, Margerum, Pali is a fun space. The rest I couldn’t rec for quality. We never used to miss a stop at Les Marchands but it was sold a while back