Santa Monica random updates

Decided to rename since starting a new thread for each opening doesn’t seem quite “worth it.”

Saw this sign on the way to El Cholo. Any one w/ info on this opening?

Is this the old JP’s?

Not at all familiar w/ JP’s, but, based on internet search results, yes.

It had been a dive bar type place.

JP’s is moving from 11th and Wilshire to 10th and Wilshire. That spot used to be a Classic Tile but has been empty for years.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Renaming topics: threat or menace

I remember a FTC meetup from what seems like a million years ago, when many of us on this very thread broke bread together, in real life at a lively, sincere little Italian hole in the wall on Sawtelle called Clusi Batusi (RIP), and had a damn fine time. And even Bacoman was in the room!

6 Likes

They made great pizza at clusi batusi!

2 Likes

More random updates…

Around Wilshire/6th St., there’s “Lobster and Beer” and “Yagul Cafe” in the Verona bldg. Haven’t tried the former yet, and only had the coffee (partner) and ginger limeade from the latter. The ?chef made a comment that the ginger limeade was “super strong.” Uh, yes. As in, like, burning my throat strong. I rather enjoyed it. :slight_smile: Partner said coffee was fine but not something in and of itself to return for. The place has chilaquiles on the menu (and tlayudas, mole, and housemade tamales), so I will be returning to try the food. Couple (who I assume are the owners) seem very sweet.

Dono (in the bldg next to Fia/Fia steak that has been through a bazillion variations) is opening… soon?

Eater LA link and restaurant homepage:

3 Likes

Walked by Flapjax (used to be Bread and Porridge across the street from the Trader Joe’s on Wilshire) yesterday and it looked just about ready to go.

2 Likes

This blog often has early intel:

Seems like Flapjax might have some connection to Bru’s Wiffle. Wonder why they want a location so close to the other one (although I guess the line suggests that they do enough business to support 3 of them).

2 Likes

Just got a quick lunch from Yagul. We didn’t order adventurously (they have chapulines! In Santa Monica!), but I thought everything was notably well-seasoned. This may be the first restaurant with guacamole that is just as good as what I can make myself.

2 Likes

Was driving past the old Belcampo Santa Monica location, and saw that the signage had changed. It’s now…

https://www.kalaveras.com

Which is interesting b/c (1.) the website doesn’t mention an upcoming Santa Monica location; and (2.) they already have another location like 2 miles away in West LA. And the part of West LA that is nearly right up against the 405. Looking at the locations from the website (Montebello AND Whittier AND Puente Hills???) is an interesting experience.

The little on FTC indicates its run of the mill Mexican. Will be interesting w/ El Cholo so close by…

That’s funny. The Kalaveras in WLA is just down the block from Don Antonio’s and The Talpa, two traditional SoCal/Mexican restaurants similar to El Cholo. Definitely caters to a different crowd. It’s loud and is more of a party atmosphere vs. a family restaurant. Food is pretty good, but not worth a trip.

1 Like

The web site makes it look like first and foremost a cocktail bar.

Interesting given that describes La Condesa like 3 blocks away (which just got a paint job and is always packed)

deleted - I confused bandora with belcampo, duh.

Kalaveras is kind of fancified drinks and middling Mexican food. Evenings turn into nights at the club with lot of music and encouraged dancing.

Been a couple of times with friends and, if it were my choice, wouldn’t ever put it on the return list.

2 Likes

Wood Ranch is up and running. This new place is going to be a couple doors down from huckleberry

How about Santa Monica Seafood. Love the oyster bar