Santa Monica random updates

Kalaveras is kind of fancified drinks and middling Mexican food. Evenings turn into nights at the club with lot of music and encouraged dancing.

Been a couple of times with friends and, if it were my choice, wouldn’t ever put it on the return list.

2 Likes

Wood Ranch is up and running. This new place is going to be a couple doors down from huckleberry

How about Santa Monica Seafood. Love the oyster bar

We went to Flapjax the other day. Enormous portions and actually a fairly interesting menu. Best thing probably the pancakes though. Looks like they’re building a nice patio out back.

1 Like

I do enjoy SM Seafood. Has there been a recent update for them? I don’t know if I’ve been since the lockdown.

One can’t have too many outdoor breakfast places, so I’ll give it a whirl. I’m not a huge pancake person and very picky about them.

Had actual food at Yagul (will try to post pics in the May rundown… at some point). Red mole enchiladas were very good (a bit sweet, and partner detected some warming spices), as were the memelitas. Tamales were also tasty (I think there was some lovely stewed tomatoes in ours w/ the chile cheese?), although I still prefer the masa from Me Gusta.

2 Likes

Doño’s website is now fully built out, so I assume the restaurant is up and running. I want very much to try the paella but hope I don’t need a bang-bang afterward (for that price).

The paella looks to be a good size from the IG video: Dono on Instagram: "Love is cool but have you ever shared a paella with a table of baddies because wow 🥘💕💁🏻‍♀️💁🏽‍♀️💁🏼‍♀️" (don’t know why the link says to log in, but you should hopefully be able to view it w/o any issues).

The paella is not small, but when we had it a few weeks ago, it also was not good at all.
We did not enjoy our visit - can barely recall what we ate other than a soupy paella and a dry chicken (that was pounded and fried like Milanese). Was only their second week so it certainly might improve…I hope so…I like Fia (and have mostly liked the chef’s prior projects). But his touch with Spanish food seemed way, way off.

Ugh, that’s unfortunate. Thanks for the early review. I’ll probably give it a few mos and will start some of the cheaper items! I’ll do a bang-bang w/ Lotus since it seems like they need some time to improve, too…

1 Like

My mother went to Dono shortly after opening, and said it was generally unmemorable. And she’s not a particularly picky or discerning eater. Likewise as @paranoidgarliclover, i’m going to see how it shapes up over the next few months, I certainly am rooting for another good Spanish restaurant on the Westside (my favorite for a long time has been Manchego, which I feel is underrated).

2 Likes

Will try!
thanks

1 Like

There’s a Tacos 1986 opening up on Colorado and Ocean where the Taco Libre used to be.

4 Likes

DTF coming to Santa Monica Place:

4 Likes

What fantastic news. I bet they got incredibly favorable lease terms. Santa Monica Place has been a ghost town for ages.

3 Likes

My suspicion is that it’s a ghost town because rent is absurdly high

According to this article in the SM Mirror, ave rent is/was $58/sqft. I don’t know if that’s high or not.

Partially that. But there was this pandemic yah see…

A lot of shops on the Promenade are also vacant. And take a look on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica.

After skimming that article, I noticed a headline further down…

Gasolina is well-regarded, no (I’ve never been)?

I have no idea what constitutes northern Spanish food.

1 Like

more like San Sebastian than other parts of Spain
also you see a lot more x’s in the names like Xuntos, Pinxtos, Etxebarri

3 Likes

Ohmigod, ohmigod, ohmigod. Has anyone tried any of the other Katsu Bar locations??? I’m not necessarily the Japanese-sandwich fiend that many others are on here, but I love me some katsu otherwise…

1 Like

“Xuntos” is Galician for “together.” She has family in Galicia, which is one of the northernmost regions of Spain.

1 Like