Sawtelle 2018

AFAIK, those two locations are related. The point I was making was the Northern Cafe MP is distinctly different than all the others.

1 Like

Is there a “recently fried” appearance i should be looking for?
I guess, if I saw a chef dropping the tempura, while on the pre-tempura, proximal line I would know - but then you still gotta negotiate the post-tempura distal line, so you are still a good 5-8 minutes from “the drop” to eating it.

To be honest, I am being a little facetious here - I don’t expect to have a Tempura Endo / I-Naba experience for the prices charged at MU. It’s great for what it is, I got a lot, tempura and all. I just think the post-tempura line, and the slowish cashier set-up, degrades the experience (somewhat).

1 Like

What’s the fascination with Millet? Everytime I go by there it’s a madhouse.

i just pick it up and lick it to see if it’s still hot and crispy, if not i put it back. that’s not what you do?

8 Likes

Nobody is filling me with confidence here and I think my favorite in sawtelle is actually Persian at Darya

1 Like

Last time I was there, the line was kind of long so I just kept eating my tempura off my tray because it was hot and fresh and enticing. The cashiers and workers didn’t care, they’re all so sweet.

4 Likes

I don’t go often, but I think that’s the criteria I used the last 1-2 times (literally when they drop it off on the tray), and it worked okay.

Which is at Santa Monica near Bundy, so not really Sawtelle. Keep up, bub! :wink:

@Nemroz: have you been to the place that replaced Javan down the street? If so, is it any good? Darya is closer to me, actually, so maybe I’ll try that again (first and only time I had it must’ve been 15+ yrs ago).

Darya is the best

1 Like

Agree. Personal favorite for khoresh.

1 Like

Agreed. As a matter of fact of its prefer the frozen from nijiya…

1 Like

in sawtelle, not on sawtelle… you keep up :slight_smile:

Ima gonna let you tell people who live in the 90049 that they live in the “Sawtelle” district to see how they react… They will run your a$$ over w/ their Velars, Stelvios, and Model Xs. :wink:

1 Like

Sawtelle boundaries are constantly in flux. When it was renamed Sawtelle Japantown in 2015, the boundaries became Santa Monica Blvd to Pico.

i really enjoyed reading ima gonna

Point well taken, but @Nemroz’s graphic has the northern boundary extending all the way up to Montana. The folks in Brentwood wouldn’t be happy w/ that. :wink:

1 Like

That is very weird and not at all concordant with my sense of the Sawtelle area at all.

2 Likes