Scalloped potatoes recipe

What’s your favorite recipe?

2 Likes

This is close to what I do.

If you’re a fan of fennel, this recipe is delicious, and unique.

2 Likes

I liked this sheet pan recipe because it was easy to make and tasty. Lots of nice crispy pieces and bits for everybody.

The hassleback scalloped potatoes is a lot of work and not better than the sheet pan recipe. It looks nice and all but I’ll take taste over presentation every day.

5 Likes

So funny, that is the recipe I settled for, but got in a time crunch and just threw it all in a pan. It was delicious. I would add an ounce of cheddar cheese next time.

3 Likes

Get out your Lipitor…

Scalloped Potatoes Gratin

I got this recipe from my cousin who amped up a Tyler Florence recipe, which originally is closer to scalloped, but is definitely au gratin now. I’m not allowed at the family Thanksgiving without this dish.

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

3 bay leaves

2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more to finish

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Unsalted butter

2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices

2 cups shredded white cheddar (if you want it closer to traditional scalloped, omit the cheddar and double the parmesan to mix in & sprinkle a little on top).

1/2 cup grated Parmesan for broiling

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2. In a saucepan, heat up the cream with the bay leaves, thyme, garlic, nutmeg and some salt and pepper.

3. Fish out thyme sprigs. Spoon a little cream mixture onto bottom of buttered casserole dish. Do one layer of potatoes (slightly overlapping), one layer of cream mixture, sprinkle salt & pepper, layer of cheese, repeat, repeat, repeat. Pour some of the remaining cream over the top. Top with parmesan and fresh thyme leaves. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, pull back one corner for the steam to escape. Bake for 40 minutes. If it’s not golden brown enough on top stick under the broiler for a few minutes.

Side note: if your short on time or feeling lazy you can pour everything into one bowl, make sure potatoes are coated nicely then spread them evenly into the casserole dish with cream mixture.

You can take the thyme leaves off the stem and sprinkle on top (before or after baking) so you or guests don’t have to pick the stems off, lol.

9 Likes

so… what’s the difference between scallopped and au gratin?

Scalloped potatoes are pretty much the same recipe as potatoes au gratin but with less cheese (some old-school recipes don’t use any cheese). For the scalloped the parmesan is used more for a little salty tangy flavor w/a little on top for crispy texture.

1 Like

Potato galette for me
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/duck-fat-potato-galette-with-caraway-and-sweet-onions

3 Likes