Schellz Pizza Co

new pop-up at gamboge featuring detroit style pizza by way of hokkaido. the “hokkaido style” dough is ferment for four days which gives it a shokupan/milk bread softness and chew with a slight sweetness. quite different from the quarter sheets sour dough crust.

the special (house cheese blend, smoked bacon, cupped pepperoni, sliced red onion fresh caramelized pineapple with thai chili) and el carne (house cheese blend, smoked bacon, spicy Italian sausage, cupped pepperoni, zesty pizza sauce) were our favorites.

@NYCtoLA detroit style pizza power rankings forthcoming?

next pop-up at gamboge 8/26 and 8/27 starting at 5pm.

the reheated slice (350 for 8 minutes, thanks @NYCtoLA) came out just as good as when it was piping hot. added bonus, it crisped up the bottom nicely.

16 Likes

LA gonna be renamed PizzaWoodLand, given this rate of new pie places sprouting up…

8 Likes

Woah!!! How does it work? Do you line up and they give you a hot pie? Or do you warm it at home? Most Detroit pies take quite a bit to cook up.

1 Like

there’s no preordering so you place your order when you arrive. the piping hot pizzas took about 35 minutes to come out but there’s a nice outdoor dining area and wine bar while you wait.

3 Likes

LA pizza scene so hot right now

4 Likes

picked up from their new ghost kitchen on crenshaw and still really impressed. created my own and got a large with spicy sausage and roasted shiitake. love the soft and crunchy dough and zesty sauce.

not as impressive as king @hppzz’s cheese crown, but I’ll take it.

uni for scale

I can never pass up cheesy garlic bread sticks.

18 Likes

Who took the corner piece?:wink: Looks delicious!

the move is to definitely order 2 mediums over 1 large to increase your crust to surface area ratio.

4 Likes

Did you get extra mushrooms? When I order sausage pineapple they tend to be pretty sparse with the toppings

I just ordered a custom pie with sausage and mushrooms.

2 Likes

We fixed the training program. Apologies, but all of your premium gourmet pizzas should have had more.

Thanks!

2 Likes

No worries will be sure to order next time!

1 Like

Schellz Pizza Co initially started out as schells pizza hole during the pandemic lockdown as way for friends and family to get delicious pizza and desserts.

They finally opened again in December 2022. The new place focuses on delivery and pickup. It operates out of a ghost kitchen in Inglewood.

Their dough is called ‘HokkaiDough’, based on the delicious milk bread of Japan (Shokupan). The dough fermentation process takes up to four days.

The special (Hokkaidough, house cheese blend, Black Forest bacon, cup n’ char pepperoni, sliced red onion, jalapeños, caramelized pineapple, Thai chili, and Schellz zesty pizza sauce) and Mushroom Magic (Hokkaidough layered with caramelized onions, house cheese blend, house made garlic oil, roasted shiitake/oyster mushroom blend and topped with fried garlic & fresh herbs) were our favorites.

They did pop-ups at Gamboge in the summer of 2022 and had great success. Schellz Pizza Co

@PorkyBelly schellz pizza part two? :wink:

Check out their website https://www.schellz.com/ for online order options.

13 Likes

Welcome to FTC!!!

3 Likes

welcome

3 Likes

Some more Schellz for cheat meal!

3 Likes

HA! We went tonight as well.

First, it’s a complete ghost kitchen complex. No where to eat all. Parking is a bit tight too, especially when Crenshaw gets busy! But we ordered through toast from their website and got notification when our order was ready. Right when they promised.

When we went to pick it up the foilks were the nicest!! They even gave us some tips on our own journey in making Shokupan (almost there!). They actually sell their own but you have to order 24 hours in advance. We have a Konbi loaf we are working through, but we’ll pick one up from them for sure soon!

We don’t live far so by the time we sat down to eat it was still nice and hot (the benefit of these thickie pizzas). We got a made to order with Mushrooms, Sausage and Onions.

We loved the toppings and the lacy edged. The crust had a sold CRUNCH to it, they get the bottom super nice and toasty. Plenty of sauce, which I loved, they described as zesty and spicy. it was mildly spicy, so if you are a fan of chili flake on your pizza, feel free…

This is certainly in top 3 of detroit style. The crust was wonderful, not too heavy or thick. I still prefer Bootlegs slices better. I just find them more imaginative. But I think this an overall better pie than my other favorite, Steel Pan. Haven’t tried Quarter Sheets, Emmy, Dough Daddy or many others, we actually make a quarter sheet pan grandma pizza ourselves with Standings Sausage fashioned into sausage nuggets, 365 Moz and homemade (Bianco Whole Tomatoes, blitzed with blanched garlic, sea salt and olive oil)

14 Likes

Glad you got to try it!

Can’t wait to see you post yours it sounds delicious!

Their pizza is tasty at room temp and cold. I’ve eaten their pizza 3 days after purchase (yup my husband bought 3 pizza for two) - I was surprised it is still super delicious!

4 Likes

reheated is just as good as piping hot out of the oven too.

3 Likes