Searching for Sushi Grade Seafood

Yep, happy to have the info!

1 Like

A Seafood Journey: Part 1 - Little Tokyo

Nijiya in Japanese Village Plaza was kind of a bust.

But I did indulge my love of tchotchkes & cats at Shinyodo. The one in back is from a gift shop in Cozumel and is actually a teabag tidy, yep, a tidy.

I was a little dejected, so hubs said we should regroup and ”eat that food at that place we like”. He meant Okonomiyaki at Chinchikurin. After a beer and some grub he actually suggested soldiering on. Okay. We walked to Little Tokyo Marketplace on Alameda St.

Mecca!

Believe it or not there was more.

My Mini Haul…

I wanted to go basic first time, plus didn’t want to try patient hubs’ patience. I grabbed my selections, a few prepared accoutrements and bypassed the produce section. Fortunately we have a few herby survivors of the summer heat (clipped a little shiso & chives). The nori is Sea’s Gift nori snack sheets from my cupboard. :wink: They actually stayed crispy.

This being an L.A. market there was a little Mexican flavor. These will go well in my chicken mole chili.

Mini Spread…

I have a stupid amount of rice I forget but think this was the last of my bag of Mori Rice.

Got Hamachi Kama too!

Big, fleshy, crispy, fatty, Juicy! :hearts: I planned to do them on the Weber but it was an unexpectedly hot day. :sweat: The countertop convection oven did just fine.

Side Salad w/Super Greens, Persian Cucumber, Avocado, Pine Nuts & White Miso Dressing

Conclusion: The large case has variety, is clean, well stocked & maintained. Some of it requires a sharp eye & experience. The Salmon was fresh. The Yellowtail was very good. The Bluefin Otoro was disgusting, literally. :weary: It was inedibly chewy, a little fishy and dye pooled underneath it. What’s up with that?! Maybe I didn’t cut it the right way but honestly nothing could redeem this. I threw it out. I originally thought the “Bullifin” label was just a misprint. Now I’m not sure, lol. Suspect!

There was Sake…

Nanbu Bijin Shinpaku Junmai Daiginjo “Southern Beauty” :hearts:

And Beer…

Happy City Fishing!

To be continued…

19 Likes

Fun! Looks great

2 Likes

What a spread!

2 Likes

New species alert🚨

3 Likes

Beautiful hamachi collars

2 Likes

: (

3 Likes

Yes, really nice!

I have never tried to grill my own - yours look great.

2 Likes

lately we’ve been going to Yama Seafood. Branches in San Gabriel and Palms-ish? You buy-they slice.

I prefer this over Fish King, and while the Joint is obviously better, this is way cheaper and more convenient (Joint will not slice for you).

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yama-sushi-sake-attitude-los-angeles-2

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yama-seafood-san-gabriel-4

5 Likes

In West LA Nijiya has a nice selection that seems to have gotten larger recently. I saw some nice toro, tuna, Hamachi, salmon as well as fish cut for grilling today. Most everything is blocked out or sometimes sliced as well. Marukai of of Venice and Centinela usually has a good selection as well

3 Likes

In South Bay Tokyo central and mitsuwa both have really good sushi. H-mart does too and they will slice live fish for you too for hwe du bap

Funny you mention - I stopped by Nijiya right after. Their prepared food section might be my favorite in all of Los Angeles. They even occasionally have Cream Pan offerings :scream:

Bang bang with Tenkatori upstairs.

3 Likes

It’s the smallest of the Japanese markets but their quality and selection is the best, I always go to Nijiya first. Tenkatori!I don’t love the sauces, but the chicken itself and the frying are on point, good size pieces, juicy & so good!

2 Likes

I was walking by the other day, noticed it was quite crowded, and was curious. Perhaps I shall try…

1 Like

Fish and Olive (@fish.and.olive) • Instagram photos and videos

The best you will find

West side Mitsuwa kinda insane this weekend. Here’s some stuff I don’t usually see…

10 Likes

WOW. I’d be all over that shirako!

1 Like

Just happened to be on my way to Nijiya

5 Likes

That would make a nice steak sando!

6 Likes

Is yellowtail collar relatively easy to cook at home? We like eating in a restaurant, but it seems like it might be kind of intimidating to do at home.

3 Likes