Seattle Coffee

From my novice tongue -

Boon Boona (Capitol Hill) - latte - very dark, slight to moderate complexity, chocolate

Milstead (Fremont) - latte - burnt, slightly complex

Broadcast - latte - very tasty, moderate complexity, peach(!)

Victrola drip coffee cupping - Nicaragua Pacamara - tea like, a little blander; Don William Murillo - stone fruit, tasty

Vivace - latte - very tasty, moderate complexity

Victrola - latte - very burnt, not particularly complex

Vita - latte - slightly burnt, not particularly complex

Kuma Coffee (beans at home) - Ethiopian Guji - very tasty

The offerings at the local Whole Foods are excellent though - Olympia out-of-stock tonight though.

Overall the profile in Seattle is much darker (Starbucks popularity?). Latte art on a higher level than LA though - perhaps the legacy of Vivace, supposed the origin of latte art?

Still on the list - Elm, Olympia, Sound and Fog

2 Likes

Sound and Fog with Anchorhead beans - latte
chocolate and stonefruit, quite acidic, good complexity

excellent

Also selling Manhattan Coffee Roasters but sadly roasted a month ago.

Vivace does a weekly rotating single-origin:

This week’s is:
Ugandan Ekende - described as “heavy bodied,” “dark chocolate” and a “crema monster.”

Looking back at their IG, seems like it was featured May 29, 2022 and August 15, 2021 as well.

Tasty - definitely fit the descriptors to a T, though on the shot I got I didn’t notice a whole lot of crema haha :sweat_smile:

Coffee descriptors do confuse me though - can’t seem to find info on “Ekende.”

Definitely visit Olympia in West Seattle. Big Truck is a legendary blend for a reason

Thank you! Olympia was also highly recommended and coincidentally, I stopped by a Whole Foods on my way back from the Olympic peninsula this weekend and couldn’t resist getting:

apple, cherry, and honey - very pleasant - with the honey afternote very pronounced. I wish I could save it for when the beautiful summer ends and the weather becomes cooler.

Any other suggestions? Elm is probably the last on the list, at which point I might broaden my field to Portland.

1 Like

Elm is great for light roasts. Kuma and Olympia are the two WA roasters I come back to the most (I don’t live there anymore).

Highly recommend Upper Left in Portland. Their Abyssinia blend is excellent. Coava is also great.