Seeking authentic Armenian/Georgian cuisine. Is Kavkaz the OG or is there another contender?

Tumanyan Khinkali Factory changed to Khinkali House.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/khinkali-house-glendale

Did they stop the manufacturing?

And meanwhile on Google Maps, TKF Khinkali Factory now points toā€¦ a house

1 Like

So the factory is now a house, and the house is now a factory?

Is this one of those ā€œIn Soviet Russiaā€¦ā€ bits?

1 Like

A friend who lived in Georgia for a few months told me Thursday that the khinkali at Kinkhali House were the real thing, and another friend mentioned wanting to go to the place yesterday, so we drove out for lunch today.

Busser brought these out. When we asked how to eat them, the server said people like them with beer. Chickpeas were OK. Rusks seemed rancid to me,.

Their oddball version of khachapuri. Good, seemed like the right cheese.

Lobi pashtet. Good but I think missing the marigold and blue fenugreek that make the beans so good at Pomegranate in San Diego.

Chicken heart skewers. Good.

Guy in the kitchen cutting wrappers from a long roll of dough.

The beef dumplings were great both steamed and fried. Best of the not many Iā€™ve had. Forgot to take a photo.

Some regulars ordered big platters of pilmeni that Iā€™m guessing are good.

This is definitely an Armenian Georgian restaurant rather than a Georgian restaurant. I asked if they had chacha and the server thought I had asked for the check.

https://www.khinkalihouse.com/menu.html

5 Likes

Yes Armenian place . We all eat khigali

I wish some proper Georgians would love here

*move and love

2 Likes

Me too although I think you meant ā€œmoveā€ā€¦

1 Like

In Georgia, Khachapuri takes on several different formsā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah, there are a bunch of kinds of khachapuri, but Iā€™ve never seen or read about one so small and straight, and when I asked what kind it was, the server said she thought only that restaurant makes it like that.

Yes, I believe the real name for this is the ā€œlazy khachapuriā€

Seems like something a caterer might come up with to make it finger food.

Most places that have to do a high volume of small ones just do a corner to corner square fold. These guys just rolled it up. Iā€™m sure itā€™s fine and the same. Iā€™m quite used to the small small ones, theyā€™re nice.

It was actually a fairly fancy pastry, looked to me like more labor per serving than a Penovani.

Anyway just as well they didnā€™t have Adjaruli, since Iā€™d have had less appetite for the khinkali.

didnā€™t even know this name!

these guys are most common at all the Armo restaurants we go to. th

Have we tried Havlabar in Glendale? Itā€™s on my ā€œto eatā€ list.

no. i havenā€™t yet had the pleasure of making my annual trip to Glendale

thanks for thisā€¦ this is the only georgian iā€™m aware of here but havenā€™t lookedā€¦ appears to have some dishes iā€™ve never had

Just heard about it on a Good Food podcast from Nov.

1 Like