Seeking Ojingeo-Gui (Korean Spicy Whole Grilled Squid) a la Beverly Soon Tofu

Greetings all. It’s been some years since I’ve posted here, but I’m desperate. A favorite protein at the sadly-departed Beverly Soon Tofu in Koreatown was the whole grilled spicy squid, cut into slices at your table by a server with kitchen scissors, atop sizzling, caramelizing onions.

Trying to find somewhere else serving the dish, which I now know (after turning up recipes for it) is Ojingeo-Gui. To my amazement, I can’t find it anywhere. Various places, including Kobawoo, do spicy stir-fried squid, but seemingly nowhere with the all-important scissors!

Any help appreciated.

2 Likes

Soban?

I think anyplace that offers it would snip it for you if you asked.

Yeah, they have stir-fried spicy squid (Ojingeo-tonggui), but not whole grilled. (The scissors are just a metaphor, lol!)

I went to Kobawoo last night, and they actually do have a whole chargrilled squid on the menu! It was delicious, but the spicy sauce came on the side, not grilled-in as at Beverly Soon, so not quite the nostalgia I was looking for.

Photo by Gavin L via Yelp.

2 Likes

오징어구이

Hanshin Pocha has Ojingeo Ganjang Butter Gui, squid with soy sauce and butter

Bonjuk also has it.

2 Likes

Welcome back!

3 Likes

Thanks!

Just about every soju bang I’ve been to has whole grilled squid on the menu, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a spicy version.