Seeking To Buy Fresh Octopus in LA, Any Ideas FTC?

If you think getting octopus is difficult, try explaining to a fish monger that you need bones to make fish broth. They always look somewhat confused. I mean, what do they do with all the bones from the fillets they are selling?

Their website says prices fluctuate depending on market.

i’ve tried damn near everything… next time i’m trying the Portuguese way with just 1 onion and dutch oven it in its own juices for 1 hour with nothing else.

please report back. especially if you succeed

dry erase markers, how do you work!?!?

The guys at Roe always have bones for stock for sale.

1 Like

This Yelp picture shows prices. I thought you were referring to their website, that didn’t have prices listed…

The website doesn’t say anything about the fish counter, even though there is a photo of a fish counter. And I don’t want to drive all the way to stupid Long Beach every time I need bones. :confounded:

Edited to add: But thank you for the tip! I didn’t mean to sound so ungracious.

No worries…they show up at my farmer’s market, and they always come with fish bones in tow. The fishmonger, Brian, is super cool, too…he shared with me their recipe for making swordfish al pastor. It’s a popular dish on the menu at the restaurant. It was pretty good…now I just need to get in to try it the real version.

ah, thanks, teaches me for reading yelp reviews w/o verification.

and hopefully that concludes my daily fail.

1 Like

You need a new fishmonger.

If not a new source for all things marine.

Suggestions, oh wise one? Santa Monica Fish Co. were kind of jerky when I asked. Then again, they aren’t the friendliest people, so I don’t take it personally. And the farmers’ market vendors look confused when I ask.

Seafood Paradise.

Or, really, any Chinese supermarket. Sometimes gratis if you ask nicely.

1 Like

I always ask nicely! Chinatown is closer than Long Beach or SGV. I’ll give it a shot, thanks.

SMSF is stingy because they use most of the bones to make stock for themselves. They sell some frozen stock in their freezer section so they can make more money from the customer rather than offer bones at a discount. No judgments. Just reporting.

3 Likes

You’re joking, right?

No.

But they also process almost all of their fish at an off-site location. It also doesn’t pay them to transport a package of bones to the retail shop for that once in awhile customer that is making fish stock.

Those two factors mean SMSF will rarely have bones for their retail customers.

A Cut Above is a butcher that is also quite stingy with bones because they make stock and then sell it for $10/pint. They make more money under that model.

No one jokes on this site. Ever.

No one.

My point is why give something away that one can sell?

Who said anything about giving away? They will rarely sell them to you. Even for ready money.

Thanks for clarifying. But if they can make a stock to use why sell the bones?