September 2016 Weekend Rundown

Corner Beef Noodle :heart_eyes:

Great noodles, nice broth and the pickled cabbage is excellent. Got extra pickled cabbage.

Beef noodle soup

Fuoco

Got Jamaican food at Hilltop Jamaican in Pomona. Really good stuff. Jerk chicken meal and 4 patties; jerk, goat curry, beef and veggie.

BBQ goes great with Jamaican food and college football.

Beef shorts and spare reeeebs

And beer, lots of beer.

9 Likes

….and it’s only Saturday…….impressive

1 Like

Still time for some ice cream tonight. :icecream::laughing:

1 Like

Heavenly key lime pie and coffee caramel eclair from Republique. Don’t worry, I shared with my husband.

Picked up a Wiki Salmon bowl from TikiFish in Palms. I really wanted to like this. The staff was really friendly, and the price was in line with other poke shops. The portion of salmon was quite generous. However, the fish didn’t taste very fresh, and the corn seemed like an odd pairing with the salmon.

8 Likes

I agree, that key lime pie is great.

1 Like

REVOLUTIONARIO

This has been on the list for a while, so I was excited to finally get over there. No pictures since @Chowseeker1999 already did such an expert job of documenting their dishes in his great report. The space is modest, but this family-run restaurant is friendly, and there’s a great comfort being there. All of the food was fantastic, and we tried a boat load:

• MAIN MENU: Black Eyed Pea Falafel Taco (amazing falafel) / Cilantro Yogurt Chicken Taco / Beef Brisket Barbacoa Taco / Duck Hash (my favorite taco) / Cheese & Scrambled Egg Brik (a highlight!) / Shakshouka Taco / Mint Iced Tea
  • SPECIALS: Couscous with Chicken (HUGE. Ended up taking almost all of it home for leftovers) / Smashed Fries / Merguez & Potato Tacos

1436 W Jefferson Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90007
(424) 223-3526
http://revolutionario.com/

REDBIRD

Science has proven that the only way to get out of a North African taco coma is to have nice cocktails, and so we ventured on to Redbird. We had no problem getting a spot at the bar, in the prettiest restaurant in LA. Fight me! All of the cocktails we tried were the best we’ve had in quite some time. Ranked below in my personal favorite order

• The Woods - gin, french vermouth, falernum, douglas fir eau de vie, lime, salt
  • Spring Spritz - savignon blanc, pamplemousse, bianco vermouth, grapefruit essence
  • Turf Club - gin, french vermouth, maraschino, absinthe, orange bitters, lemon essence
  • Belmont Breeze - bourbon, amontillado sherry, lemon, grenadine

We also split up the Oaxacan Peach (mole dulce, condensed milk, burnt candela) dessert. Others liked it more than I. All of the flavors and textures seemed to meld into each other in a non-descript way. It was tasty enough for a few bites, and cool to look at, but I’m not sure I’d jump in front of a bus driven by Keanu Reeves to get it again.

114 E 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 788-1191

5 Likes

Tar & Roses was closed, Milo & Olive was almost closed, so we said fuck it and headed back to my house with a stop at Cinco de Mayo for foood.

Seven carne asada tacos and rice and corn tortillas for me. Serviceable, we were very, very hungry. $3 tacos, packed with a lot meat.

Byw, Why don’t we have a what I ate when I was drunk thread?

7 Likes

@Bookwich Good call! That should be a thread on the board. You should start it.

“Byw, Why don’t we have a what I ate when I was drunk thread?”

Two horse race between @Bookwich and @linus. :wink:

2 Likes

[quote=“A5KOBE, post:106, topic:4162, full:true”]
I agree, that key lime pie is great.
[/quote]It does looks great. The eclair too.

1 Like

The eclair was excellent and really reminiscent of tiramisu, especially with the fine dusting of espresso powder. The only criticism I have is that they should’ve put a piece of wax paper between the two desserts. The first couple of bites of the eclair tasted like the key lime filling.

BTW, I’m really enjoying all your Thai eating excursions - so fun!

1 Like

Monsieur Crepe in Sierra Madre - http://www.monsieurcrepe.com/ - take out.

“La Beet Salad ($12.45)
Homemade roasted beets, baby greens, asparagus,
minced shallots, feta cheese, crumbled pistachio,
homemade balsamic vinaigrette”
Missing shallots and pistachios; very good flavor but lousy QPR (especially as Zelo, a mile or two east, has a more-to-my-taste beet salad for several dollars less).

“Salmon ($9.25)
Smoked wild salmon, cream cheese, red onion, lettuce, tomatoes, dill”
Decent and flavorful, okay QPR. I like that their side salads have sliced strawberries - but am annoyed that they’re just mixed spring greens, otherwise.

3 Likes

#Odys + Penelope
cheese puffs, smoked tomato romesco

pappardelle, pork belly bolognese, fried sage

apple smoked short rib. The smoke ring was so red the emmys are using it for their carpet

za’atar onion rings

cock blocked

warm caramel cake, roasted strawberries, orange, ginger ice cream. So glad i saved room for dessert, this was excellent.

5 Likes

Thanks @MaladyNelson! We’re really enjoying it. We can be a little lazy about food trekking. DOTM gets us out there.

1 Like

Beijing Pie House

I had bookmarked this place for a long time, but since we don’t get to drive to the area that much, I keep missing the chance to try it. Finally made it out here.

Complimentary Millet(?) Congee:

This was some type of Millet Congee that was free with one of the dishes we ordered. It was unflavored, so I’m guessing it serves as a carb basis, like a bowl of rice / noodles?

Cold Cucumber with Garlic:

A little bit too salty, but still refreshing with chilled Cucumbers and fresh mashed Garlic. :slight_smile:

Lamb & Green Onion Homeland Meat Cake:

I’ve never had these before, so I’m not sure what the gold standard might be, but this was a crisped up “Pancake” (according to the menu), stuffed with Ground Lamb and Green Onions. Gamey, salty, and a bit too oily. It was tasty, but I could only eat 1 piece.

Fennel & Pork Pie:

This had an appealing golden seared crust on the outside. The Fennel mixture with the Pork was delicious. Really fragrant.

Overall it felt like a lot of carb-heavy dishes with a variety of ground meats (Beef, Pork, Lamb), fried up / seared.

What else is good to order here? Thanks.

Beijing Pie House
846 E. Garvey Ave., #3A
Monterey Park, CA 91755
Tel: (626) 288-3818

10 Likes

I usually dip the pancakes and pies in a self made concoction of black vinegar and chili paste (I drain the oil on the side of the container to get mostly chili paste). It really sets each pie or pancake off. It also cuts through the heaviness of each dish.

The house pie is great and the lamb noodle soup is nice on a colder day than today. Haha

4 Likes

Jeez that looks good. How was everything?

I love savory pancakes. That looks like an excellent meal. Except the millet porridge, wth? :neutral_face:

SYCAMORE KITCHEN

Had an errand to run in the area, and with the mid-day line at Republique stretching up La Brea to the Hollywood sign, figured a stop at Sycamore Kitchen was in order.

WATERMELON GAZPACHO
cucumber / basil / tomato / bell pepper

MEDITERRANEAN GEM SALAD
gem lettuce / chicken / dates / hazelnut / adicchio / grapes / bleu cheese / red wine vinaigrette

Fine enough to scratch the itch of having some greens, but not particularly notable.

DOUBLE B-LTA SANDWICH
crispy & braised pork belly / butter lettuce / balsamic / tomatoes / avocado /mayo / country bread

Didn’t get a great picture of the innards, but the bread on this puppy is a definitely highlight. Soft and chewy, yet firm enough to support the rest of the ingredients. The best bites are when you get both crispy and braised pork belly dripping in balsamic. Is there a better BLT in LA? If so, I’d love to try it.

FLOURLESS LEMON CUSTARD CAKE

Quite possibly the best thing we had. The lemon was bright and tart, and the cake had a wonderful spongyness. Oh! And the rosemary was prominent and married the lemon and lived happily ever after.

143 S La Brea Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036

9 Likes

I drove by that line. Cah-razeee…