September 2016 Weekend Rundown

Bon Vivant Market & Café - Glendale Blvd, Atwater Village

Kickstarted the weekend a little early. Thursday night, table outside with friends.

We didn’t get there in time for the chargrilled oysters w/olive parsley butter, lemon & parmesan. All we saw were the ginormous empty shells and our friends raving about them.

Big Bowl of Bivalves in Saffron, Tomato, Basil Broth w/Crostini

I love to dip crostini in a delicious bowl of buttery, lemony, briney shellfish broth. The mussels were too rubbery, manilla clams were tender and sweet. The crostini was perfect, soft inside, very crispy outside. Perfect for dipping and sopping. We ended up ordering a basket for the table.

Flat Iron Flank Steak w/tomato bacon confit, melted stilton cheese and baby green salad

Only a couple bites for me. Flank was cooked just right. Juices from the meat, roasted tomatoes and smokiness from the bacon made a delicious sauce. The flank held up perfectly to the strong stilton. Definitely take your Omegas after this one.

Baked Salmon w/lemon, herbs & cherry tomatoes sautéed in butter w/a baby green salad

Wish I had taken a bite of the salmon. But my crostini swished in the super lemony sauce was incredible!

Our cocktails were ok. But the Salted Carmel Cookies were crispy, chewy, sweet-salty goodness.

It was dark and my pictures don’t do it justice (couple are internet pics). But the space is great. A fireplace, dessert case, cold cut & cheese cases, whole bean coffee, and specialty items. It’s like the Silver Lake version of Jones on 3rd, but bigger and with a really cool bar.

Side bar: Servers were very cool. They steered us away from the chicken & waffles
:wink:.

Bill for four w/copious amounts of alcohol & sweets $187 + tip.

4 Likes

Good choices @President_Mochi. I love that Lemon Custard Cake.

1 Like

Everything was solid and well executed, but that dessert was outstanding. Even though i was beyond full i managed to shove that thing down my gullet.

1 Like

Clifton’s, Huckleberry & Wood Spoon!

5 Likes

Okay… You know I’m going to ask. What is and where did each one come from?

1 Like

Cliftons Jell-O
Huckleberry great Country breakfast and a very disappointing Monte cristo
Wonderful meal at Wood Spoon Brazilian chicken pot pie , chicken-bacon grill and Brazilian assorted appetizers

I am the last person to raise the ugly specter of ANY TYPE of censorship around here - I still miss fucking @kevin as well those discussions of Mastro’s working girls - but I do think that making me look at extensive, stomach turning Jello “shots” while eating lunch at my desk crosses some decorum boundary.

1 Like

Thanks my good man. The Monte Cristo does look a little tired. Everything else looks pretty good. Clifton’s Jell-O is adorable… what a crack-up. Particularly interested in the Wood Spoon dishes. Are they on the Westside?

:laughing: I wish you posted more often.

3 Likes

Wood Spoon
Downtown Los Angeles
107 W 9th Street
LA, 90015
located just around the corner from Ace Hotel

From their menu…“WE ARE A RUSTIC BRAZILIAN KITCHEN INSPIRED BY THE AFRICAN, EUROPEAN AND INDIAN INFLUENCES SPECIFIC TO THE REGION OF MINAS GERAIS, BRAZIL.”

Wonderful food. closed Mondays
http://www.woodspoonla.com

1 Like

[quote=“wienermobile, post:132, topic:4162”]
“WE ARE A RUSTIC BRAZILIAN KITCHEN INSPIRED BY THE AFRICAN, EUROPEAN AND INDIAN INFLUENCES SPECIFIC TO THE REGION OF MINAS GERAIS, BRAZIL.”
[/quote]Thats a pretty good description of what your dishes look like. Intriguing. And close to me too. Thanks!

1 Like

wood spoon is excellent!

2 Likes

Oh, I actually thought the jello shots were really cute! Would I eat one? No. But they bring me back to happy time in grade school.

Sort of like “The Never Ending Story.” It was, like, SO amazing when you were a kid, and you eagerly watched it every weekend on KTLA. And then you watch it again about two weeks ago with your partner (who has never seen it), and you’re like, “WTF is this teutonic, existential sh*t???”

But, to bring this back to food, jello isn’t German. But it could be.

I think I need a nap now.

3 Likes

The menu looks great. I asked my cousin in DTLA about it. She said it’s like eating in the lady’s kitchen. She loved the pot pie.

1 Like

That was funny

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:25, topic:4162”]
#twoheadsarebetterthanone
[/quote]Definitely

2 Likes

Love that lemon cake. It was easily the best thing we ate there too.

Easily their best dishes. I have been back a couple times at the bar solely for drinks and dessert.

1 Like

Dieter: “Now is the time on ‘Sprockets’ venn vee dance…”

2 Likes

howlin rays @ sequoia national park

13 Likes