September 2020 Rundown

In honor of @PorkyBelly’s ahem, underwhelming, Vespertine: Japan experience, I wanted to recreate it with a bunch of substitutions from spots with track records executing these dishes.

I’d been caught up in the hype, and despite my own gut feeling, ordered right away for the second weekend. Without that critical first report, my friend and I (his trip to Japan was cancelled due to COVID) likely would have been saddled with a highly disappointing meal :bowing_man: thankfully we were able to save ourselves.

Let’s begin.

soft tofu - Meiji Tofu
fresh and non-gmo

I could have eaten this whole thing with a spoon.

zaru soba - Otafuku
cold buckwheat noodles served with dipping sauce and accompaniments

Incredible buckwheat taste and toothsome, perfectly cooked noodles. I could have drank the dipping sauce straight.

broiled black cod - Nozomi
with sweet saikyo miso

This was a highlight–superbly flavorful and great char.

tonkatsu - Kagura
premium black pork fillet cutlet

Nearly as good with takeout as served fresh, and no trace of blood. Kabocha squash was good.

sashimi - Wadatsumi
five kind assorted sashimi (10 pcs)

Perfectly sized cuts.

taiyaki - SomiSomi
baked fish waffle cone filled with custard on top of milk soft serve

Confirming this was filled with custard.

fruit sando - Katsu Sando
strawberry, mango, kiwi, raspberry

The bread was still soft, but the variety of seasonal fruit is what really stood out in the sweet whipped cream.

le matcha - Patisserie Chantilly
green tea mousse

They were out of cream puffs when I got there, so I pivoted and stuck with the matcha theme. Outstanding.

The end.

Full disclosure I couldn’t eat all of this–it was a massive amount of food and I have rice for days.

25 Likes

Dayum next level!

I also went to Kagura today, the hype is real but I wanted the millifue (sp) katsu (I have no idea how to pronounce it or spell it) and I think they heard “filet”

14 Likes

Did it. More than a week ago. Pretty effin’ good!

10 Likes

So good–quite the portion too. Ordering over the phone was touchy, but looking forward to dining in again in the future.

1 Like

fucking brilliant, you and @foodshutterbug just invented the vespertine “kahn-seki” bang bang.

7 Likes

Great post!!

I have drank it straight, but usually the more trad way is asking for sobayu (そば湯), literally ‘hot soba water’ and add it to the remaining dipping sauce for a “soba tea” to finish the meal. A good soba shop will happily provide the soba water.

6 Likes

Golden Bird - Western

Tender juicy crispy fried chicken and damn good mac n cheese and greens. The biscuits were on the dry side but otherwise great flavor. The 8 piece meal is a boatload of food. The chicken was so juicy I may need to get my car floor mats dry cleaned.

This place is awesome. I think I found my new fried chicken replacement to Flossie’s!

Mama’s Lu - Rowland Heights

Dear lord this place was jam packed, so many take out orders the wait was super long. Food quality same as Garvey location.

They have a robot server.

Win-Dow at American Beauty

Fried chicken sandwiches were pretty good, I enjoyed it more than the burger. On the small side, would need two + fries for a meal.

Phillips BBQ - Centinela

Rib tips

Tire Shop Taqueria

Chorizo taco close up.

18 Likes

Sounds fantastic–I’ll definitely do this next time!

BBR

Hayato

Every single bite is still elite, but my favorite among them continues to be the snow crab tofu. It’s a bit agonizing now knowing that Chef Go is doing R&D and we’re all just waiting to see what’s to come.

Phenakite (by the Porridge + Puffs team)

Sneak preview of the rest of the write up, but this NA drink was insane. It’s the cornsilk chamomile and it tasted like drinking sweet corn. Everything else in the dinner was fantastic–making it hard to parse out one outstanding course–but this really wowed me.

Go Get Em Tiger

In the midst of batch 2 research for the Chocolate Chip Cookie Death Match I picked up a cookie mentioned by @film_score2. Not to give too much away, but this center bite that was loaded with chocolate and basically raw was delightful.

Fat + Flour

The weekly drop delivered with the blackberry/blueberry hand pie. The fruit was delicious as always, but I’m learning the real reason that I’m in love with these things is because it has so much more of that slapping pie dough–crisp on the outside and still tender where it meets the fruit.

15 Likes

Superfine x Tire Shop

Superfine

salami honey
No crunch, very flabby, too much cheese, cornicione wasn’t nearly as airy and didn’t rise as much as before. A bit underwhelming.

pepperoni
This slice was much better. It was very crunchy even though the pepperoni cups didn’t char very much.

Tire Shop
I was inspired by @A5KOBE and had to make my first trip here in 6 months. Honestly, I was a little concerned about the seemingly lack of social distancing though. People were definitely less than 6 feet apart…

The usual: asada and chorizo

14 Likes

First time at Konbi and all the sandwiches were quite tasty

Tamago with Jonah’s crab

Pork Katsu

Maine Lobster

Yuba salad (no longer on the menu :frowning:) - light, yet with some nice intense flavors

Inaba Torrance Okura Tororo soba

Ototo Strawberry and grape daifukus (thanks @PorkyBelly)

Wanderlust Some of my favorite flavor profiles!

Amboy Outstanding decadent, unctuous pies! Still need to try the burgers.

Pecan + chocolate + bourbon pie

Smores with peanut butter

Hayato
The sake had this melon fragrance that I like from the daiginjo, but with a much more intense and longer finish

Needle char siu just continues to deliver

Katsu-Sando Their wagyu katsu sandy (btw, the walnut shrimp one was as tasty as you would think - definitely one of those guilty pleasures)

Neighborhood takeout from Taste of Tehran I continue to really enjoy it

Neighborhood takeout from Il Fico - the same chef who cooks at Vincente - continues to be solid

25 Likes

A grand tour of our LA landscape - Bravo,NYCtoLA, bravo!

1 Like

Mapo using @JLee mapo sauce. Tried to swing by today for some Typhoon soft shelled shrimp but they were sold out. Hopefully that is a recurring special.

Holbox everything is still fucking amazing. Never had the grilled spot prawns until today. But six spot prawns for 47 bucks is a steal grilled and with a slightly buttery flavor so good. Kanpachi collar I don’t think any Japanese restaurants in LA are doing grilled collar as well as this tbh. Great al fresco dining with no one around in the evening unlike most restaurants which seem to be packed.

Pad Thai from holy basil. Really digging the food that they put out. Wok he was great but I wish the pad Thai was a little sweeter had more of a savory dried shrimp flavor. Looking forward to trying additional food.

Curry puff - ga le so from Longs so good plus egg tarts not pictured

21 Likes

Wow, this sounds amazing with peanut butter!

1 Like

Sounds very underwhelming. I haven’t visited since the downhill alert, but even the inconsistency between your two slices is troubling. Like they’re shooting from the hip now.

1 Like

No pics but had a great dinner at Bar Ama, outside patio dining

We had the chips and guacamole, tacos dorados, sanddab tacos, and the green chicken enchiladas
enjoyed everything, standout was the enchiladas, we ordered the tacos dorados with the pork pibil. (i think next time i would just order it without the extra toppings)

on the B-side of the menu is dedicated to Baco Mercat (LONG LIVE BACO MERCAT)
We had the lebni, eggplant and fava dip, the blistered okra, and the mussels.
our favorites were the okra and the mussels, (my wife is a sucker for these items on any menu)

Overall, a great dinner for our first time eating out. Tables were properly distanced, servers were all wearing masks.
we ordered 7 dishes for 2 people. The server said that it was a lot of food and if were sure we wanted all of that. They were right, it was a lot of food! we were only able to finish 3 dishes and the rest we took home.(i appreciate them trying to dissuade us)
my minor quibble was that the cocktails and beer were served in plastic cups.
I am quite sad about this whole thing, DTLA looks really sad right now and so quiet.
Besides that, i would definitely go back and have another meal there.

15 Likes

Belcampo Delivery

Before this weekend, I had never tried Belcampo. I was vaguely familiar with them and heard that they make great burgers. They rocketed to the top of my list after learning that their farms are actually carbon negative, which is a big deal for me. Kudos @robert for sharing that.

We ordered a pair of Fast Burgers for delivery. They are fairly compact for the $14 price tag, but the look and feel of the potato roll puts me at ease.

This burger has a very nostalgic quality, just holding it in my hands.

Taking a bite, I immediately understand what they were going for. The beef, cheese, ketchup, pickles and onions taste just like a Quarter Pounder from McDonalds, except way better. Grass-fed beef got a fair bit of attention in another thread, and I will say that Belcampo’s ground beef is less fatty than its corn-fed counterpart. It’s an important quality, and for me keeps this burger from being a total home run. But I would still eat this any day.

We got an order of the animal fat fries, made with a combination of duck fat and beef tallow. Considering all that, I found them underwhelming and lacking the salty savoriness you’d expect from a good fry. Next time I would opt for a regular order.

Love what Belcampo is doing and love their burgers. I’m a fan.

13 Likes

LAX → HKG Currently in hotel quarantine with very limited options, and a dear friend dropped off dim sum from Seventh Son Restaurant in Wan Chai. Traveled quite well!

19 Likes

They’re still requiring the 14 days quarantine right?