September 2020 Rundown

I think you can only stay in some designated hotels. So…

1 Like

Yes - all out of pocket - hotels have to be licensed as such (no Airbnb) and a lot of the nicer hotels do not take quarantine guests. Plus you clean your own hotel room, change your own sheets and towels, etc. Staff drops off any deliveries at a table outside your door, rings your doorbell, and disappears. Basically you are a leper for 14 days.

Now you see why dim sum is the highlight of my day? LOL

7 Likes

Understatement of the year. Seventh Son is probably the highlight of most people’s day anywhere!

2 Likes

What were some of your favorites from that spread?Will concierge deliver/bring food from nearby restaurants? 2 weeks is brutal to be holed up. I’ll probably be over it after a week

If the hotel is kinda dingy I can imagine how terrible the experience would be especially if the internet/WiFi was spotty!

1 Like

When they reopen for dine in, I would highly recommend getting the duck fat fries, they are amazing, so good I couldn’t stop eating them. And they serve it with a nice garlic aioli in case you want to change up the flavor from time to time. They also provide ketchup but I don’t do ketchup. :grin:

1 Like

As long as there is an Atari 2600 in the room ;-D

I would have to say the har gow - their wrapper has a slight chew to it and a little bit of a flavor, so it added nuance whereas other har gow it just serves to wrap. Also the ham sui gok - their filling is more flavorful vs. other ones I have tried and they held up pretty well in the transportation. Char siu of course was excellent.

Yes the concierge will bring up anything that is delivered so we’ve been ordering from foodpanda (kinda like UberEats) or having people drop stuff off - the staff rings the bell and they disappear like ninjas - adds to the leper colony feel of this whole thing.

@JLee luckily not dingy but I made the mistake of not checking that the windows actually opened so we are reliant on the HVAC for “fresh” air, thank goodness quarantine is almost done.

MIssing LA food already but open to any requests for HK pics as I’ll be here for a while given the quarantine process to re-enter.

7 Likes

Take copious pictures and post them all here!

Also if you need suggestions for hole in the wall/old school places. Watch this YouTube channel, will prolly help pass the time too!

https://www.youtube.com/c/eatravelhk

1 Like

Hit up Miu Kee first when you’re free!

1 Like

just share anything from HK, I’m dying to get back since its been about 3 years since I’ve been but I can’t wait to return to go to my usual stops like Sister Wah.

1 Like

@hungryhungryhippos thanks! I’ll be furiously google translating :grinning:

@moonboy403 Will do, funny enough after all the cha chaan teng takeout I had a friend drop by Law Fu Kee on Lyndhurst for some congee and they were closed! Hopefully not permanently. And the huge Tsui Wah on Wellington closed back in March.

@JLee I’ll start a separate thread post-quarantine in the Asia forum for HK food rundown. And if you need any special ingredients sent over for any of your pop-up specials, LMK :yum:

4 Likes

Ugh! Glad you are almost done w/ quarantine.

1 Like

Roast goose shootout please

3 Likes

Go to this place for roast goose! Little bit of a hike out of hk/Kowloon.

Tin Hung Roast Goose Restaurant
88 Kin Yip St, Yuen Long, Hong Kong
+852 2474 8849
https://goo.gl/maps/UuW4L56iDuTdfwT1A

Also @MalibuT some of the videos have English subtitles. Here’s a link to some of them:

5 Likes

X 3 Roast Goose

Wonton Noodles
Brisket Noodles
Bamboo Pole Noodles
Sweet and Sour Pork
Scrambled Egg Sandwich
Egg Tarts
Pineapple Buns
Beef Chow Fun
Milk Tea
Char Siu

2 Likes

I’m very sad we had to cancel our trip to HK last November. We had everything booked but canceled due to the protests. I got a lot of great advice from the board. Here is the old HK thread

I still have a Google map saved of all the places I bookmarked. Hopefully we can go in a couple of years.

3 Likes

Win-Dow at American Beauty.

Chicken sandwich and a double cheeseburger

The chicken sandwich we thought was… ok. Slight heat from cayenne. We agreed the slaw did not belong. The chicken is not flavorful enough to stand up to the slaw. Would’ve been better with just the pickle.

Cheeseburger was awesome as always. My first time getting a double. I prefer the single, but this was deliciously beefy with perfect melt on the cheese and the onions are fantastic!

One of my favorite burgers… simplicity.

10 Likes

Thanks for this. I hope you have the opportunity to go to HK once all the craziness is over, whenever that will be.

For anyone who’s interested, I’ve started a HK rundown topic.

3 Likes

Had the pork ribs last night and they were outstanding. As meaty and tasty as I have ever had there.