September 2020 Rundown

Yes, a whole container full.

2 Likes

Last week was my time back in L.A. and my first time dining out since the pandemic started. I didn’t get to pick the spots, but was satisfied with my meals. I joined friends for lunch outside at Monsieur Marcel at the Original Farmer’s Market. Their salad niçoise was fresh and delicious (I opted for ahi tuna). I spent the weekend at the Kimpton Wilshire for a friend’s birthday and our party’s takeout order from Uovo was correctly filled, well packaged, and reasonably priced. The al dente texture of the pasta held up surprisingly well, and the pomodoro sauce was delicious. Packaged on the side was a small container of fresh torn basil leaves. The broccolini with garlic was addictive. Lemon birthday cake from Susie Cakes was the perfect sweet end to the meal. The texture of the cake was fantastic, not dense but had a nice heft, and perfectly moist.

15 Likes

Kawamata Seafood

Brisk business as usual

Poke bowl and SPAM musubi w/ tamago

Din Tai Fung Arcadia

Shrimp fried rice

Stir fry green beans

Kimchee pork dumplings

Noodles with pickled mustard greens and pork

Chili crack sauce - I’m going to ask if I can buy a case of these

Sunmerry

Hot dog bread w/ cheese

Gus’s Santa Ana

Fried chicken

Chess pie

They are not making collard greens at this location due to understaffing and it being labor intensive, that was what I was told.

Anyone know if Crenshaw or other locations are still making them?

I don’t really care for their other sides, the fried chicken was still delicious.

12 Likes

Experimenting with leftovers for dessert haha. Tenerelli white peaches with leftover vanilla creme fraiche and port reduction sauce from the Providence South France menu dessert.

Amazing separately. Also great together but honestly the peaches get lost, especially in the rich port reduction sauce. Good thing I have a couple more Tenerelli peaches to eat on their own a different day!

11 Likes

Omakase Nigiri Take-out Box, from Sushi Kaneyoshi (Little Tokyo)… An excellently prepared sushi feast to go.

Remember to choose the middle bank of elevators at pick-up…

Yoshi-san gets dibs on the prized premium uni from waters off both Japan and the U.S…

New Caledonian shrimps really shined tonight. The tuna cuts were immaculate. Kegani with kani miso (and caviar) approached the divine. Binchotan-seared nodoguro was revelatory. Yoshi-san’s relatively unorthodox kasutera tamagoyaki was quite interesting and tasty.

Proof of destruction. #LeaveNoTrace

Bonus: Summer Truffle Ice Cream, from Shunji Japanese Cuisine (West L.A.) - Wow! The question is not would you like some truffle with your ice cream? But rather, would you like some ice cream with your truffle?

(Funny story: Shunji-san is still a bit sore that certain FTCers bought out all of Yoshi-san’s kama toro last week before he could try some #JLdidnotpartake #StillOnShunji’sGoodSide…)

17 Likes

Can someone please try Villas Tacos in HLP for me?

3 Likes

Perhaps next weekend.

1 Like

I’ve been. They’re decent. Not entirely sure why the hype train caught them but they seem like nice folks (and very enthusiastic) so I’m happy for them.

1 Like

Al & Bea’s

Delicious. Their beans are darn creamy. I wish there’s a El Ruso x Al & Bea’s combining the former’s top notch tortillas and Al & Bea’s delectable fillings.

burrito | bean & cheese with green sauce

combination burrito | beans, shreed beef, green chile, cheese

10 Likes

Easily one of the best burritos I ever had!

Those beans are magic

1 Like

Whoa

4 Likes

Went to Gus’s on Crenshaw 2 weeks ago, and they sadly weren’t making collard greens either! (And hadn’t a couple other times I ordered during covid.) For LA and for takeout, their fried green tomatoes aren’t bad.

3 Likes

This was a good 2.5 days of eating. :slight_smile:

Clementine’s DineLA menu is not gourmet, but it does offer something a bit different than the regular menu in terms of possible combos and is a satisfying meal. I love things that are neatly packaged. :slight_smile:

Nothing innovative or new here, but the food is always consistent and of high quality. Only nitpick is that I would’ve preferred the cornichons to have been diced; the bigger pieces gave too much salty/sour in one single bite.

Choc chip cookie underneath the sandwich. Had I known that @rlw was going to make their cookie post, I would’ve taken a shot of the inside of the cookie!

Lots of people have taken pics of the Hayato bento box. So I’ll provide the menu. :slight_smile:

I think someone had already posted something similar in the past, but I do want to point out the text that accompanies the bento box (upper right on the menu).

Is it possible to literally taste beauty? If so, then the food in the bento box provides that, along w/ heart, soul, and incredible precision and balance.

A mild bang-bang w/ Sweet Rose.

The tart (listed on the menu) froyo isn’t that tart, TBH, but goes nicely w/ the pluot jam. There’s not much jam, which is actually a good thing b/c the sweetness doesn’t overwhelm the yogurt. I do wish the pluot pieces weren’t so… chewy. Banana pudding ice cream was very good, as was the chocolate (can’t remember what it was called, but I think it’s on the seasonal menu).

BONUS pic. Me looking clueless as I sat at The Row wondering where the h*ll everyone was for the Hayato pick up. The buildings there are beautiful, and lots of people seemed to be taking engagement-style pics there. It’s easy to see why.

I’ve anonymized myself to protect the innocent.

IMG_4027

18 Likes

I can just tell from the top of it though that it’s high quality—nicely tanned and rippled edges with a slightly sunken center. If only they weren’t closed on Sundays!

1 Like

BBR (best bite roundup)

Tiger and the Horse

I’ve picked up the chirashi bowl a couple times and this was the best one yet. Four types of fish (rock cod, buri, ora king salmon, and kanpachi) and a GENEROUS amount of uni. I really like the addition of the okra tempura, charred belly, and wax apple, but a special shout out goes to the finger lime that punches everything up. Every week they also put out a small playlist of songs to pair with your bowl. If you’re interested, preorders for the following week go live every Saturday at noon and there’s more info on their Instagram.

IMG_5257

IMG_5260

Konbi

I’m not sure how long it’s been but Chef Miles Thompson has been helping out in the Konbi kitchen, bringing some new inventive dishes to the menu. We may be on the backend of tomato season, but this simple salad comes with a pistachio nori granola and sake lees vinaigrette that let’s the fruit stand out but still adding something special.

IMG_5280

There’s also a new brownie on the menu that’s pretty outstanding. It’s quite sweet, but the caramel makes it more interesting than other run of the mill brownies.

IMG_5283

Proof

This is the inside of the apex predator chocolate chip cookie I wrote about it in the Chocolate Chip Cookie Death Match–the best one in the first batch.

IMG_5275

PRD

Automatic.

IMG_5279

Botanica

I can’t say enough about how much of a banger Botanica’s kabob party menu is. While I’ve always had great meals at the small neighborhood spot, I’m going to be bummed when this menu goes away at the end of the month. All the kabobs are great, but my favorite is the chicken with roasted stone fruit. It sits on a bed of toum and the entire combo really is a party in your mouth.

IMG_5289

Fat + Flour

On September 9th, Chef Rucker asked if she should add biscuits to the Fat + Flour menu. A week and a half later the biscuit trio landed on the menu with little cups of butter and plum/lavender jam. As revealed in her cookbook “Dappled”, Chef Rucker uses ricotta cheese in her biscuits that creates sublimely flaky and fluffy interior. I nearly blacked out when I ate it with both butter and jam.

IMG_5262

17 Likes

South Park taco crawl. The taco stands were doing al fresco dining before it became popular. No issues social distancing and everyone was wearing masks which was heartening.

Tire shop still the best. Smoky asada all day! Should’ve gotten chorizo too but was worried about filling up

Unnamed taco stand that was grilling asada chicken and chorizo in a barrel grill off mlk near trinity. Homemade tortillas which seem to be the norm these days. Their salsa was very tasty

Tacos Los guichos pastor was good but not nearly as good as tacos Leo also minus of no pineapple on taco.

Tacos don eve probably my favorite vapor vendor. They only serve cabeza and labio. Both are out of this world tender with a great mix of cartilaginous textures. Their habanero salsa is hot!

15 Likes

That mesquite that they get into the carne asada at Tire Shop is what keeps me going back. Thanks for the update on the COVID conditions.

2 Likes

One caveat, we went early to tire shop at around 530 by the time we were eating on the back of my trunk, there was a big line and definitely was not appropriately distanced.

Do you know what brand of mesquite they use?

Sushi nigiri takeout box, Shunji Japanese Cuisine (West LA)… It’s hard finding premium uni these days, and somehow Shunji-san found some. Akami was terrific as well.

13 Likes

5 mcchelin :rofl:,

3 Likes