September 2020 Rundown

Mapo using @JLee mapo sauce. Tried to swing by today for some Typhoon soft shelled shrimp but they were sold out. Hopefully that is a recurring special.

Holbox everything is still fucking amazing. Never had the grilled spot prawns until today. But six spot prawns for 47 bucks is a steal grilled and with a slightly buttery flavor so good. Kanpachi collar I don’t think any Japanese restaurants in LA are doing grilled collar as well as this tbh. Great al fresco dining with no one around in the evening unlike most restaurants which seem to be packed.

Pad Thai from holy basil. Really digging the food that they put out. Wok he was great but I wish the pad Thai was a little sweeter had more of a savory dried shrimp flavor. Looking forward to trying additional food.

Curry puff - ga le so from Longs so good plus egg tarts not pictured

21 Likes

Wow, this sounds amazing with peanut butter!

1 Like

Sounds very underwhelming. I haven’t visited since the downhill alert, but even the inconsistency between your two slices is troubling. Like they’re shooting from the hip now.

1 Like

No pics but had a great dinner at Bar Ama, outside patio dining

We had the chips and guacamole, tacos dorados, sanddab tacos, and the green chicken enchiladas
enjoyed everything, standout was the enchiladas, we ordered the tacos dorados with the pork pibil. (i think next time i would just order it without the extra toppings)

on the B-side of the menu is dedicated to Baco Mercat (LONG LIVE BACO MERCAT)
We had the lebni, eggplant and fava dip, the blistered okra, and the mussels.
our favorites were the okra and the mussels, (my wife is a sucker for these items on any menu)

Overall, a great dinner for our first time eating out. Tables were properly distanced, servers were all wearing masks.
we ordered 7 dishes for 2 people. The server said that it was a lot of food and if were sure we wanted all of that. They were right, it was a lot of food! we were only able to finish 3 dishes and the rest we took home.(i appreciate them trying to dissuade us)
my minor quibble was that the cocktails and beer were served in plastic cups.
I am quite sad about this whole thing, DTLA looks really sad right now and so quiet.
Besides that, i would definitely go back and have another meal there.

15 Likes

Belcampo Delivery

Before this weekend, I had never tried Belcampo. I was vaguely familiar with them and heard that they make great burgers. They rocketed to the top of my list after learning that their farms are actually carbon negative, which is a big deal for me. Kudos @robert for sharing that.

We ordered a pair of Fast Burgers for delivery. They are fairly compact for the $14 price tag, but the look and feel of the potato roll puts me at ease.

This burger has a very nostalgic quality, just holding it in my hands.

Taking a bite, I immediately understand what they were going for. The beef, cheese, ketchup, pickles and onions taste just like a Quarter Pounder from McDonalds, except way better. Grass-fed beef got a fair bit of attention in another thread, and I will say that Belcampo’s ground beef is less fatty than its corn-fed counterpart. It’s an important quality, and for me keeps this burger from being a total home run. But I would still eat this any day.

We got an order of the animal fat fries, made with a combination of duck fat and beef tallow. Considering all that, I found them underwhelming and lacking the salty savoriness you’d expect from a good fry. Next time I would opt for a regular order.

Love what Belcampo is doing and love their burgers. I’m a fan.

13 Likes

LAX → HKG Currently in hotel quarantine with very limited options, and a dear friend dropped off dim sum from Seventh Son Restaurant in Wan Chai. Traveled quite well!

19 Likes

They’re still requiring the 14 days quarantine right?

Yes, till the end of the year. The US is considered high risk so even if you have a residence here, you are required to quarantine in a hotel room. Starting Oct. 1, passengers from the UK will have to hotel quarantine as well.

On the plus side, the daily local case count is in the single digits. And everyone is masked up!

5 Likes

Have some roast goose, and wonton noodles for me!

2 Likes

dam and I suppose you have to cover the costs yourself for those 14 days as well?

1 Like

Yup!

I think you can only stay in some designated hotels. So…

1 Like

Yes - all out of pocket - hotels have to be licensed as such (no Airbnb) and a lot of the nicer hotels do not take quarantine guests. Plus you clean your own hotel room, change your own sheets and towels, etc. Staff drops off any deliveries at a table outside your door, rings your doorbell, and disappears. Basically you are a leper for 14 days.

Now you see why dim sum is the highlight of my day? LOL

7 Likes

Understatement of the year. Seventh Son is probably the highlight of most people’s day anywhere!

2 Likes

What were some of your favorites from that spread?Will concierge deliver/bring food from nearby restaurants? 2 weeks is brutal to be holed up. I’ll probably be over it after a week

If the hotel is kinda dingy I can imagine how terrible the experience would be especially if the internet/WiFi was spotty!

1 Like

When they reopen for dine in, I would highly recommend getting the duck fat fries, they are amazing, so good I couldn’t stop eating them. And they serve it with a nice garlic aioli in case you want to change up the flavor from time to time. They also provide ketchup but I don’t do ketchup. :grin:

1 Like

As long as there is an Atari 2600 in the room ;-D

I would have to say the har gow - their wrapper has a slight chew to it and a little bit of a flavor, so it added nuance whereas other har gow it just serves to wrap. Also the ham sui gok - their filling is more flavorful vs. other ones I have tried and they held up pretty well in the transportation. Char siu of course was excellent.

Yes the concierge will bring up anything that is delivered so we’ve been ordering from foodpanda (kinda like UberEats) or having people drop stuff off - the staff rings the bell and they disappear like ninjas - adds to the leper colony feel of this whole thing.

@JLee luckily not dingy but I made the mistake of not checking that the windows actually opened so we are reliant on the HVAC for “fresh” air, thank goodness quarantine is almost done.

MIssing LA food already but open to any requests for HK pics as I’ll be here for a while given the quarantine process to re-enter.

7 Likes

Take copious pictures and post them all here!

Also if you need suggestions for hole in the wall/old school places. Watch this YouTube channel, will prolly help pass the time too!

https://www.youtube.com/c/eatravelhk

1 Like