Bacalao is the Spanish term.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Beijing Noodle House

16 Likes

PEACHES and GRAPES

(Sorry, no pictures)

Fantastic peaches and other stone fruit at the farmers markets this month. The O Henry peaches from Tenerelli orchards (Santa Monica) are obscenely good.

If visiting Santa Monica check out Murray Farms for their table grapes. The Mayabelles are a standout.

Tenerelli and Murray are at the main SM market on Wednesdays; Murray is at Virginia Park on Saturday as well as other farmers markets around town.

3 Likes

New one for me…looks good!

1 Like

Tenerelli is also at the SM Main St farmers market on Saturdays!

2 Likes

Feu Noodle Shop at The Row on Harbor. Some real standouts and definitely a place we’d recommend.

The papaya mango salad had the requisite heat and funk. Quite frankly it was spicier and better than the papaya salad we had at Lotus of Siam in July. Nice knifework.

Standard spring rolls but nice crunch bits and the sauce was fishy, funky, garlicky and a hint of spice all in a good way.

Kim chee smoked bacon carbonara udon. It was all of those things. Smoky, creamy with a hint of fermented kim chee. It was tasty but not necessarily what I was craving.

Chicken pad see ewe. My kids stole all the chicken. It was really well grilled and I wasnt mad. Very good bouncy thick noodles. Good wok hei.

Not pictured was the oxtail pho. I’m not a big pho fan because I don’t love star anise and lemongrass. This was more like a beef broth with some subtler back notes. My wife likes the more traditional broth. Big oxtail and brisket. Kids are now pho converts.

15 Likes

Your kids alway impress me!

2 Likes

Oh wow! Slauson! (did Yee’s close?) @JLee mentioned they were opening a 3rd locale but who knew? Good for them and good for Windsor Hills.

I get bunches of Crustees savory pot pies at the BHFM. They freeze great. Pop them in the toaster oven and serve with a salad on nights when I’m not up to cooking. Very satisfying. Will try the Sweet Potato Pecan. :heart:

Edit…

This week hubs had this Mashed Potato, Ground Turkey & Lamb Shepherd’s Pie and I had a Southwest Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie (no photo)

5 Likes

Ohhh. :frowning: I thought that choice of a location was a little surprising (a little far south for a J&V locale, lol) and upon further inspection it does look more factory than restaurant. I was about to get on the horn and give my Windsor/Baldwin Hills friends a heads up. :grin:

Oh ho! Sweet gig! So I guess I can kiss my beloved Animal goodbye? Yes, I’m like a dog with a bone! :grin:

@TheCookie this was the original plan pre-pandemic. Hopefully they will still have something community facing

1 Like

Nice, thanks. We’ll see what the post-pandemic plan is.

It’s good that they’re concerned about gentrification. The residents are indeed concerned about shifting demographics, as the area is a source of pride for black Angelenos. But I think they’d love having a Jon & Vinny’s in the neighborhood. My concern is it’s a little south-east of the more restaurant friendly Leimert area and has a rep for being problematic. Watching…

1 Like

If you saw a man eating a chestnut choux on the hood of his car in the Chantilley Patisserie parking lot around 11:15am today that may or may not have been me. I may or may not have eaten said chestnut choux in 2 bites.

13 Likes

If you like chestnut you gotta try Nagomi Cake House Chestnut Mont Blanc. Bonus it’s near Meiji Tofu, and Otafuku

3 Likes

I like that place, too! The chowpups like the garlic noodles with steak.

1 Like

Here’s a smattering of a bunch of minor meals over the first couple weeks of the month.

Pizzette

Finally got out here to try some small pizzas. I mean pizzette.

Anchovy Pepper

One biter.

Salumi Board

The best way to get bites of Salame Piccante, Pistachio Mortadella, Coppa Senese, Finocchiona and Prosciutto di Parma.

Meyer Lemon Pizzette

Yeah it’s small, but tasty. I really liked the fried capers and next time I’d probably add some anchovy for extra punch. One of the good things about the size is you could probably get a couple easily.

Wax Paper Chinatown

Garth Trinidad

Hell of a sandwich. One of my favorites in recent memory—thicc, messy, and some fantastic bread.

Love Hour

Double Burger

The best smash burger in LA? Maybe… but it’s certainly my favorite.

The Bad Jew

Reubecca

So messy and rich and indulgent and good. Got a side of coleslaw to cut the fat a bit, but it’s not necessary because you’re really just in it for the sandwich.

Yang’s Kitchen

Why has it taken me so long to try this place?! I just went to pick up a couple things (so excuse the takeout boxes) but it was super busy when I was there—many people waiting around for a table.

Market Grill Plate with Dry Aged Barramundi

Fantastically cooked piece of fish and some surprisingly tasty vegetables. I got some of the extra green sauce, which was fantastic. I wish I could have gotten a whole jar of it.

Roasted Squash and Kale Salad

I added some pasturebird to this, and always enjoy roasted things in my hearty salads, but the real star of this is the fantastic dressing. It comes in a huge cup, so I didn’t use it all and got to spread it out on a couple other things through the week. The crispy rice topping was also a nice crunchy addition.

Cornmeal Mochi Pancake

I can never resist a good pancake and this might be one of the best I’ve had in a long time. It’s slightly chewy thanks to the mochi flour, but retains a nice sweet corn taste. It comes with whipped cream, peaches, and condensed milk, which takes it to the next level.

Sunset Sushi

Kaisen Chirashi

My first time picking up from them in many months, and while there is a bit of a price premium, the quality of the fish remains high. The knife work was a bit inconsistent, but it’s all going to the same place so no biggie.

12 Likes

I stopped by Crustees today and they were closed because of some sort of mechanical issue? :sob: Thanks for the recs on the savory pies, I was eyeing those as well. Not really a fan of Shepard’s pie but that cheesy pot pie more up my alley. Gonna have to trek back another day.

1 Like

They were trying out the cheesy chicken and idk if it’s a permanent menu item but the regular chicken pot pie is really good too.

1 Like

CS99’s favorite Bun Bo Hue. Lived up to all the hype. This is seriously a good bowl of noodles. Loved it.

Picked up some Bahn mi’s from Saigon Bakery across the street. And one of these

8 Likes