September 2021 Rundown

It was definitely tasty and loved the insides, the bread just needs a vast improvement. If they use fresher bread I think their dac biet might dethrone Ba Le. But the Ba Le banh mi ga + egg with the fried shallots is just so tasty with their excellent bread and garlicky aioli.

1 Like

Shunji-san was all smiles as he welcomed me to his new digs in Santa Monica this evening. Shunji Japanese Cuisine has resumed takeout omakase for now. And very soon, its new space on Ocean Park Boulevard (still undergoing final finishing touches) is poised to open for dine-in service! #TheStarWillReturn

Miki-san displays his craft at his station…

Every bite was terrific. Huge Bites included the kamasu (baby barracuda), itoyori dai (threadfin seabream), buri (seasonal yellowtail), Santa Barbara murasaski uni, and finishing strong with a truly resplendent tekkamaki!

22 Likes

You had me at mocha twist donut but then you throw in the basque cheesecake. Guess I know where I’m going this weekend. Have you tried the cream puff at Bageloo? I think it’s my favorite, even over Chantilly and Nagomi which I finally got to try.

1 Like

That’s a sight for sore eyes, indeed!

2 Likes

Bageloo is temporarily closed on Sundays, just FYI

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXnjbMlT3u/

3 Likes

I agree, the bread could really be better.

I haven’t had the cream puff yet, gonna need to get on that ASAP.

The mochi twist donut reminds me of the flavor of a Leonard’s malasada with a chewy mochi texture and crunch from the coating of sugar. I definitely think the dough is a brioche mochi hybrid of some sort. If you go early the donuts are still warm. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

When is the best time to go to get the most variety of pastries?

I would say the same as Republique model, early on weekend mornings for pastry variety. I strolled in on a weekend before closing and they had some cakes but barely any pastries. Still grabbed a mochi twist though because that was basically all they had. Bagels are average and decent if nearby.

2 Likes

Paderia Bakery. This was one delicious egg tart. Super buttery and flaky. The crust shattered like a croissant when I bit into it sending flakes everywhere. The custard itself had a nice creamy consistency but the filling was not too sweet or eggy. Excellent stuff.

12 Likes

With Wifey on the East Coast in the foodie wasteland known as Orlando, I’m stuck fending for myself and dining solo.

Takeout from Mini-Salsa & Beer (Vanowen St at Whitsett).

It’s like 5 booths and a bar which, both times I’ve been there, was empty.

Lo-Carb Plato De Pimpin

So, I got a side of asada and a side of carnitas. Each have to be 1/2 pound. They give you chips (which I pass) and bean dip (ok, I use a little on the carnitas). Including tax this was under $12.00 (I think it was like $11.50).

Crazy good QPR.

12 Likes

This garlic spread is amazing. Found at Whole Foods. Way better than Trader Joe’s. Closest thing to Zankou I’ve had. Garlicky with a good bite and great texture. No potatoes.

10 Likes

Wife’s fave too.

1 Like

!!! Whut!!! I love the TJ spread, I’ve got to try this now. Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Here is the recipe my friend - Traditional Toum (Lebanese Garlic Sauce) Recipe
Suggest you buy this to make it. Chesnok Red Organic Hardneck Garlic for Sale - 1/2 lb | Chef Shop

4 Likes

We’ve gone a few times subscribing to the theory that the kitchen is on its best behavior while the head chef/owner is still in town. Hope they can keep the quality up after he departs.

A bit late, but catching up on September takeout…

Yunnan Restaurant, Monterey Park: La zi ji and some cold table items (peanuts w/ silver fish; tofu, bitter melon).

Mian, San Gabriel. Sichuan cold noodles, sour plum drink.

Kaze Sushi. Palmdale. Nice assortment.

13 Likes

And, the rest of the month…

Guisados, Boyle Heights. Tinga de Pollo; Mole Poblano; Chuleta en Chili Verde; Quesadilla. Haters gonna hate, but I don’t care. The original location still brings it. I couldn’t help but notice how much more meat and filling there was compared to the Burbank location.
Guisados-BoyleHts

Zhengyalov Hatz, Glendale. More of their eponymous item. Love these.
ZhengyalovHatz

Masis Bakery, Sun Valley: grilled trout. Like the sturgeon, served on a pita, over rice (fries or salad can be substituted), with onions, a grilled tomato & pepper.
Masis-trout

14 Likes

Tasty sauces. With the exception of the Bianchi & Neri the pasta is usually over-cooked. Good prices. I like the name.

Chinchikurin - Japanese Village Plaza - Little Tokyo

Serious comfort food. :heart:

Mentaiko Takoyaki

Chinchikurinyaki (crispy okonomiyaki w/ground beef)

Fried Chicken

15 Likes