Sergio is back on centinela!

Sergio was in. As was @Dommy and @Mattapoisett_in_LA! :smiley:

Food was delicious (esp the marlin tacos and the snook) and so was the company. Iā€™ll let mattpoisett post the photos.

We were the only people in there. Folks, give this place some business (please)!

10 Likes

So this guy Sergio gets all the credit for the snook at Coniā€™ ?

I read an article somewhere (scratches head) that says the owner of Coniā€™ is the creator of that dish? And Mariscos Chente on Centinela is owned by his ex-wife, while he owns the one in Lennox?

Ok, itā€™s exhausting and I donā€™t really want to know. Iā€™ll just stop in on Centinela.

2 Likes

Stop in . Sergio does suffer for his food . No one else comes close .

3 Likes

It was a pleasure to meet you guys as well! Breaking bread with fellow posters is always a good thing. In fact the conversation was so good that I missed 3 of the 6 dishes.

All in all Sergio was in top form. The botana that came out was one of the most refined dishes weā€™ve seen from him in a while. Mini tostadas with ceviche and complimentary salsas. His Ceviche Mixto is still wonderful with super tender fish, shrimp and octopus. The tacos gobernador were full flavored and smokey. The snook was tender, meaty, flavorful and onions perfect compliment. The traditional shrimp al diabla did not mess around and Dommy for her comfort food, Shrimp Cuichis were as good as ever. We had been to this location since Sergio left and it was missing the soul and Sergio touch (He Cuts things with care a precision)

It is cash only (big sign up front) and there is a specials menu. We ordered quite an but and really just scratched the surface. We look forward to going back to have other favorites.

14 Likes

Yeah baby.

Whatā€™s the status on the karaoke/music?

Hi @Mattapoisett_in_LA,

Nice report! :slight_smile:

So is this the original Mariscos Chente location where Sergio first started (and we were all going to back on Chowhound)? In Mar Vista?

Did you ask him if heā€™s taken over ownership here and staying for good? Temporary stay?

Thanks.

Yes itā€™s the original Mar Vista Location. No, I didnā€™t Talk to Sergio

2 Likes

I donā€™t recall any music playing at all last night.

Sounds like a fun night!! No pictures of the snook?

Nope.

Great news. The place was attempting to be a karaoke bar - the volume and sound quality was distressing.

Last dish to come, so I think we were pictured out. :wink: It (and the onions) were as delicious as ever.

1 Like

Does Sergio work the lunch shift as well, or only dinner?

I wonder what this means for Cheko El Rey in Long Beach, as I thought this was his new home?

2 Likes

i donā€™t know anything about the situation for lunch.

Whatā€™s that?

Sounds like an awesome meal and great to know heā€™s close to me again.

This was such a great tip. Thanks, @westsidegal!

I called ahead today for a late lunch, and Sergio was indeed in the building, so I got 'em going on a kilo of snook and headed on over.

Everything was delicious. There was only one other table occupied, but a couple to-go orders were picked up while we were there. Hopefully they can get some steady business. As others have mentioned, it is cash only, but thereā€™s an ATM there should you forget.

I gotta say, those mother lovinā€™ marlin tacos may be tops for me. Theyā€™re so smokey and crunchy and cheesy. The snook was as good as Iā€™ve had it at Coni (donā€™t think Iā€™d actually ever been there while Sergio was). All around, a danged hit.

Pescado Zarendeado aka Snook (this was one kilo - we could have definitely split half)

Marlin Tacos

Mini Tostada (honestly not sure exactly what this was because Sergio sent it over on the house. So freaking nice. Plus they were great. So bright, they had to wear shades.)

No Toto, but itā€™ll do (seen in the storefront next door)

11 Likes

Shrimp Chichi is shrimp in a poblano, cheese, & cream sauce. Very tasty

1 Like

How funny, partner and I commented on the mirror ball toilet, too! Did you also see the Beatles pins (as in, bowling pins)? :wink:

One of the mini tostadas was scallop and shrimp; I donā€™t recall what the other one was, but the salsa was dynamite and, as @Mattapoisett_in_LA mentioned, very refined.

1 Like