SGV Chinese Takeaway

chandavkl tweeted that 101 Noodle House in Alhambra and You Kitchen, in the same plaza, are open for takeout.

Kristie Hang tweeted that Savoy Kitchen is open for takeout.

1 Like

Instagram reports Lao Xi Noodle in Arcadia open daily from 11am to 7pm

2 Likes

i vouch for their frozen dumplings. IIRC 50 for $28. there’s usually 10 in an order for $8.

Went to 101 over the weekend, they’re open through the day and were making about 4-5 orders when I was there. Got a bunch of frozen dumplings, solid as always, and a couple cooked dishes, including their beef roll. The roll doesn’t travel that well, but a little time in the toaster oven helps. Masks and gloves all around.

Haven’t been to You Kitchen yet, but their menu looked good and they had a big touch screen set up for in person takeout orders.

2 Likes

There are several hot pot places on the list. Do you know if these hot pot take-out are cooked or not? I am asking because previously, when we tried to take home the leftover uncooked meat and vegetables along with the broth, our waiter insisted that we cooked everything first, citing health regulations.

Ruby BBQ open

4 Likes

Any recommendations (prefer western SGV, if possible) for veggie dumplings for the freezer? Fish/seafood dumplings without pork?

Qing Dao Bread Food for fish dumplings

2 Likes

unless you’re specifically looking to support a mom/pop take out place, you can also get them at any asian supermarket. ranch 99 in alhambra on main just east of chapel or the one in arcadia at naomi/golden west typically carry vegetarian dumplings.

2 Likes

Definitely prefer to support the mom and pop places as best we can, but appreciate the recommendations of the markets, too. Any particular brands to look for?

If Chef Ming is correct, half of the mom and pop restaurants will not come back. So sad.

i don’t shop for veggie dumplings and i recall seeing only one or two.brands though there may be more.

giving this a little more thought: if qing dao bread food in MP is still open, they sell their fish dumplings frozen. i know you kitchen on valley in alhambra is open, they have fish dumplings and i think they’re selling them frozen. there’s some other place that opened recently that was supposed to have really good fish dumplings but i can’t think of who. might be you kitchen.

EDIT; i was thinking of the re-opened ahgoo’s kitchen but the new location in temple city DOES NOT offer the fish dumplings. pity.

1 Like

I never even thought about shopping at a supermarket frozen aisle for dumplings, but some do make it themselves. So many little restaurants have it in their refrigerator. The problem would be if they have vegetarian or not.
Another concern would be if you feel safe walking around the big grocery stores. My impression so far, is that they are not controlling the number of people enough at Chinese markets. At my recent visit to T&T, I was bumped into not once, but a second time by a rushing customer, and there was plenty of room to go around me. I think the shoppers are too much in a hurry and stressed in this environment.

eater dot com recently posted an article about how the SGV is way ahead of the curve in regards to observing appropriate levels of caution. as a consequence, a lot more people are going about their business much like normal - except they’re all wearing masks, etc. most significantly, the rate of infection throughout the SGV is significantly lower than in areas such as BH or brentwood.

1 Like

It definitely varies by location- the Alhambra Ranch 99 has been controlling the number of people in line for at least week and a half from personal observation but the San Gabriel Ranch 99 was not as of this last weekend. For the latter that may be the time of day I visited but I can’t be certain- people were shopping in closer quarters than I was comfortable with, however.

2 Likes

Maybe for some areas? I was in Rowland Heights during around the period of time mentioned. The line for Tiger Milk was a crowd all over the place, mostly at arm’s length from one another. I think only 5% of them were wearing masks.

How was Tiger Milk? It was on our list but never made it for one reason or other. Still not sure if that place was more popular for the IG posts/photos or if they boba was really that good. Our favorite places are Ding Tea in Tustin or Tastea in Rowland Heights. We have strict requirements because we need a place that makes good boba, milk teas and a place our 7 and 9 year olds can get juice (not slush). They must have both peach and strawberry.

It was not bad! It looks really nice in the cup, before you shake it. I got the most popular drink, just milk with brown sugar. They use Straus milk, which is surprising, because that’s the more expensive brand only coffee shops use, if they care about quality lattes. Didn’t go with Clover or some cheaper brand.

I’m not sure about other flavors. Wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re willing to wait quite a while.

I am unsure of the history of the place, but my Taiwanese friend was talking about it. They might be the one that started up this ‘stripe’ trend originally. I think it’s better than Xing Fu Tang, but Da Alley is maybe a bit more enjoyable taste wise.

1 Like

Uniboil’s takeout is cook at home, not sure about the situation with the others.

I’ll second JeetKuneBao’s recommendation of Qing Dao Bread Food for fish dumplings, and also You Kitchen for fish dumplings.

3 Likes