SGV dump crawl

Your title says “SGV dump crawl”.

Did you mean that?

God, that all looks so delicious…

Indeed. I didn’t want to discriminate against dumpsters or dumptrucks on this crawl.

1 Like

the LP list is more hit than miss, but personally, i would have skipped emperor noodles anyway as their SJB are a bit doughy to me, and i would have crossed the street and gotten the shui jian bao at tasty noodle.

i would have also left out the place in focus plaza (whatever name it is now) and gone to shanghai dumpling house the next block over on valley

i would have also stopped at mian one more plaza over from SDH and gotten the wontons in chili oil, that dish has something like five spice powder or star anise in it that just takes that dish to an entirely new level.

did you like the beef roll at flavor garden? when they first opened it was one of my favorites, but the quality has become inconsistent.

4 Likes

I am on my own SGV crawl. Taking secretasianman’s advice at Mian and Xi An Tasty

Here’s my bowl from Mian this morning - excellent dumps

9 Likes

And here’s my Spicy Braised Meat in Preserved Sauce Hand Made Noodle from Xi An Tasty
very good but not very ma la

2 Likes

I liked the beef roll at dean sin world better

did you get the same flavor profile - either five spice powder or star anise underneath it all?

i like xi’an tasty, but i don’t recall mentioning it - but then most of this info just kinda gets blurted out anyway.

Yes, Five Spice I think.
You mentioned it here

It’s the new slang in the SGV: “XLB”, “dump”, etc.

and take now is slang for eat. so when i say i’m taking a dump…

2 Likes

MIAN wasn’t open when I designed this, but it’s a great addition. If I re-did it now I think I’d also replace the SJB from Emperor with the ones from Kang Kang.

And I thought long and hard about adding Shanghai Dumpling’s salted egg yolk dumplings, but decided in the end it was too much with DTF and Wang Xing Ji. If you wanted to leave DTF off, that would definitely be the back up… but I thought about it from the perspective of somebody who doesn’t live here and didn’t get to eat at these places a lot (as opposed to the person who’s been to DTF a million times and wants a more off the beaten path/unique soup dumpling option.)

i do prefer the kang kang version over the emperor noodle version but the shui jian bao at tasty noodle house (the only dalian place in the SGV) has become my favorite of shui jian/sheng jian bao choices here.

BTW they have a buy 5 get 1 free special there. (dishes) so go with a larger group - or prepared to take stuff home

never been. totally bookmarking it…

HTX really should get more love here…

2 Likes

whenever they get any love from a gweilo, it’s for their rectangular dumplings which are really no big deal taste-wise, but they do have some good stuff:

3 Likes

Agreed! Place is never crowded and consistently fabulous, and they have the above mentioned buy 5 deal. It’s probably the place I visit most, especially because 38 degrees is right on my way home for a nightcap.

I agree about the shape being the big draw.
Do I spy some egg and tomato hand/knife cut noodles back there?
How were they? That dish seems to be a favorite of yours, SAM…

i do like tomato and egg noodles. they let the quality of the noodle shine a bit more IMO. the HTX version was so-so.