Shake Shack To Open in DTLA

Completely agree. I find their burgers to be flavorless and the toppings to be cold and slimy.

Good summary

@honkman and @Jemange

To be fair, while Iā€™m not Shake Shack fan, there is something to be said about being able to order up a burger (or hot dog or chicken sandwich) for sub-$10 along with an adult beverage. For a lot of people I think thatā€™s the unstated, and ultimate, appeal of Shake Shack.

And letā€™s not forget the custards, which even when itā€™s cold and drizzly in NYC, I still hanker for one.

No, this is just wrong.

Golden Stateā€™s cheapest burger is, what, $12? Shake Shackā€™s cheapest offering is something like $5. If anyone is paying the same price for a Shake Shack burger at Golden State pricing, then youā€™re entitled to a refund.

Ditto analysis for Plan Check.

1 Like

Shake Shack pop up! From Eater LA "Brace yourselves: Shake Shack is coming to L.A. sooner than expected, they are doing a one-night-only pop-up inside of Jon Shook and Vinny Dotoloā€™s seafood restaurant Son of a Gun on Monday, January 25.

Menu includes The original ShackBurger. They will also be cooking up those signature crinkle cut fries (offered with Son of a Gunā€™s own in-house aioli this time), and doing a whoopie pie-style dessert. For their part, Jon & Vinny are rocking a tuna melt (and supplying the space, of course). Sadly, the ChickenShack isnā€™t making the trip.
Shake Shack will be letting guests line up in advance of the 6 p.m. opening, but behind a stanchion so as not to hog the sidewalk. Youā€™ll order from the back bar, and the team will do their best to turn out food as quickly as possible. No reservations will be taken, so plan on waiting in line. Hours on Jan 25th will be 6pm to 11pm one night only.

1 Like

Shake Shack and Golden State end up pretty close in price. You need the double at shake shack, the single is not filling. Golden state burger and one of their sides (fries, salad, etc) is 11.08 + tax. Golden state is 13. Itā€™s higher but not by much. I went to shake shack and got a double burger, fries, and a soda. It cost me $13.40 or so + tax. At 15 bucks, it seems to me the closer comparison is Golden State, not a double double combo with fries and a soda, which costs 6.60 + tax.

Wouldnā€™t a more apt comparison be SS vs Fatburger vs 5 Guys? In that grouping, I think SS wins by a mile.

2 Likes

Not if weā€™re just talking burgers. And burgers only.

Including side orders just muddles the discussion. Cuz, whatā€™s better, gelato at Golden State or custard at Shake Shack?

#Pointless

1 Like

Well, I agree the entire conversation is pointless, but the burger price at Golden State includes a side, while Shake Shackā€™s is a la carte.

Iā€™ll just leave this here. Happy to re-do this with any updated figures or requests. My excel formatting is a bit off but hey, Iā€™m not being paid for this shit.

3 Likes

Nice chart. Doesnā€™t Fatburger have a slightly cheaper combo price? (Not to mention they have a great musical selection.) Billā€™s Burgersā€“where is this?

In N Out charges like $0.85 or so for an extra patty. :joy: I had a 3x2 and fries a couple weeks ago and it was under $7 with tax included.

Billā€™s Burgerā€™s = Van Nuys. Iā€™ve never been but some internet sites love it.

I ignored combo pricing for simplicity. I mean itā€™s close enough to have a discussion yā€™know.

Agreed. 5 Guys and Fatburger are the right comparison, and I much prefer Shake Shack to either.

Of course, Iā€™d be even happier if the Bay Area chain Super Duper Burger opened a location in LA.

What about Burger Lounge? I would say that is comparable to Shake Shack. Itā€™s a pretty damn good burger too IMO.

Maybe add Smashburger?

Iā€™ll update when Iā€™m on my other computer, smashburger is about ~11.

2 Likes

To humor me can you also add The Habit?
Double Char-burger with Cheese $4.45 Fries $1.80ā€¦.

Updated. Based on this, I get a distinct feeling that there s/b 3 price groups: <$10, $10-$15, $15+

3 Likes

Not to make your life difficult but maybe we want to include Burger Lounge?

Nice work.

1 Like