Share with me your coleslaw recipe

Thanks! Any unusual ones?

thank you. I’m guessing it’s sweet and tangy?

I’m not much a coleslaw person but Bakesale Betty’s recipe is the exception for me. Easy to make and goes great with fried chicken!

Ooh, I like that cause it’s got no mayo. Thanks.

To me, if you just shred cabbage and add dressing, it’s not coleslaw.

Operative words being “to me.”

I found this recipe when, a couple I’d been emailing for weeks about a dinner at our house, dropped a bomb the night before the party “Oh, BTW - we’re vegans.”

And this was way before easy vegan recipes were available (as they are now.) So I hit the web and found out that the coleslaw I loved at Tam O’ Shanter was also vegan. Game on. I made it and it was lovely and enjoyed by all. Hooray!

2 Likes

it’s a pretty good normal coleslaw, best if is sits a bit before eating. Celery salt or seeds work great here as well

To me that’s essential. Shredded cabbage dressed and served immediately doesn’t have the right texture at all.

1 Like

I ended up making this one - Mustardy Coleslaw Recipe

I shred Napa cabbage and a carrot, then add this and sesame seeds.

4 Likes

As much as I respect Serious Eats that sounds WAY too goopy for my taste.

@Bookwich I adore that dressing. I’ve been using it regularly since my best friend suggested it. Making a slaw with it sounds like a great idea.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I also prefer the Bakesale Betty slaw. I love a creamy pasta salad and all that but something about creamy slaws just come off way too heavy for me.

@robert, for the Bakesale Betty recipe, I can vouch that it doesn’t have to be dressed immediately before serving. I also don’t love that raw shredded cabbage taste and texture so I definitely dress it ahead of time. Regarding slaws in general, even Kenji acknowledges in that article that he’s addressing just one type of slaw:

Since that day, I’ve come to enjoy cole slaw in all its various regional forms, from the bright yellow mustardy stuff I first tasted at my cousin’s Tennessee wedding to the vinegary chopped slaws I had in Eastern North Carolina…For the sake of simplicity, today we’re going to be dealing solely with my first true love, cream slaw, but we may well come back to address other varieties in the future.

I modified Julia Childs’ Cole Slaw recipe (I know blasphemy!):

1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
2 Tbsp.cider vinegar (or to taste)
1 tsp salt
1 TBL sugar (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp caraway-seed
1/4 tsp celery seeds
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 c. sour cream
1/2 c. mayonnaise (I make my own)

2 Likes

This is a legendary chef’s recipe

3/4 white 1/4 red cabbage
Apple cider Vinegar , sunflower seed oil, spoon of dijon
Dried cherries and toasted pistachios and a teasooon of toasted coriander seed

I made that up

2 Likes

welcome back(I’m not stalking you, it tells us you haven’t posted in awhile) what’s the original recipe? If you don’t mind of course.

that shit sounds good.

1 Like