Share Your Favorite Soup/Chili/Stew Recipes!

We love soups, chili and stews in our house for dinner during the cooler months (well, as cool as it can get in SoCal!) I’d love to get some new recipes to try! Plus points if I can simmer it in a slow cooker while I’m at work, or if it can be thrown together quickly when I come home from work. :smile:

Recent hits were cream of mushroom soup with a touch of sherry and an Asian style pork rib soup with carrots, , onion and napa cabbage (served over rice).

Thanks!

Chinese oxtail stew.

I don’t really use recipes, but this one is a pretty good approximation of what I normally do.

And let’s not forget egg drop suit. I could bathe in that stuff if they let me.

• Bring chicken stock to a boil
  • Add frozen corn niblets
  • Bring back to a gentle boil
  • Add cornstarch slurry slowly, and incorporate completely, then reduce to a gentle simmer
  • Slowly drizzle in whisked eggs
  • Immediately turn off heat, let soup sit uncovered for 5 minutes.
  • Salt and white pepper to taste.
  • Plate into soup bowls (or, if you’re me, just leave it in the pot as I just eat it directly and cut out the middle man)
  • Garnish with chopped scallions and/or a drizzle of sesame oil
  • (Optional, after playing top each bowl with a couple flakes of bonito)
  • Then chow down.

I make soups similar to the oxtail stew too but with pork or chicken. Will have to try it with the oxtails. I also spice things up by adding fresh chopped red chillies and a touch of turmeric, and sometimes some coriander powder. Gives it a nice Indian/Malaysian twist.

Egg drop soup is one of my favorites, especially with some soy sauce drizzled in before I eat it! How many eggs to how much stock do you usually add?

I really like The Green’s cookbooks Black Bean Chili. I can serve it to my vegetarian friends. People cannot believe there is no meat in it. The smokiness from the chipotle makes it seem like there is meat. I will confess to using canned black beans.

Is this the one? If so, it’s looks great! How many cans of beans do you use?

Black Bean Chili

5:1 ratio

5 parts stock to 1 part whipped eggs

Thanks – will have to try this very soon!

Depending on how many I am feeding, about 2-3 cans. That is the recipe,

Wait, what?? You mean you haven’t already?

Funny thing is, I almost tried to make it Tuesday night as I made a spicy pork and veggie stir fried noodle for dinner, and thought the egg drop soup would be a good side/starter, but I got lazy after I made the noodles. LOL

Hi boogiebaby,

Thanks for starting this topic. There’s a wonderful rumor that’s it’s finally going to cool down in L.A.

This Ottolenghi red lentil soup has so much flavor. It’s a big hit in our house.

1 Like

As we’re getting close to Thanksgiving allow me to pimp my spicy roasted squash soup. It’s dead easy. Roast the squash and mash. Then saute a lot of grated ginger. Add the squash, add chilli powder/cayenne, ground cumin and coriander seeds and mix in. Add good chicken stock (ideally homemade) and mix; simmer it all for some time. Blend the soup, add good coconut milk, simmer again for a bit. Prepare a tadka of mustard seeds, dried chillies and curry leaves and pour over. Serve.

Details here: Roasted Squash Soup with Ginger and Cumin (Indian Home Cooking Week 2) | My Annoying Opinions

2 Likes